Just dragged myself into the garage, not on my ‘A’ game at the moment but thought I need to move the rebuild on before Tim and Fuzz give it back to me in some chessey scenario at a Local car show ! 

Just done a trial fit of floor, with inner and out sill. The floor and inner sill( heritage) appear ok,  it struggling with the outer sill, I can get the bottom of the door parallel with the sill, but I can’t get the door in far enough so the bottom edge of the door lines up with the edge of the sill, the door overhangs the sill. 

I did look to see if the floor was to far ‘inboard’ but all the mounting points are lining up and the top of the sill lines up wit the bottom of the A post, just wondering if the sill it’s self(older Bastuck panel) which came with the car is not a great pressing or it’s an installer problem. 

Graham - I bought a Bastuk sill set some years ago from them in Europe which included outer, inner and sill end caps. I checked the profiles with a car on original sills and the profiles were spot on. However, what I did find was that the top flat part of the sill, before it's bent upwards at 90 degrees to form the flange was too narrow by about 3/16" - easy enough to rectify before fitting by flattening out the flange and rebending in the correct place.

If you had't sussed this to start with, and quite honestly, why would you, particularly if you have nothing to compare it to, then you end up with exactly the problem you have and it doesn't just stop at the door.

Because the sill is too far "in", this will also impact on the lower alignment of the front and rear wings where they fit over the sill.

Hope this helps

cheers Rich

PS - I have posted about this before but got knows if it's findable!

Rich thanks for this, think you may have put your finger on the issue, I measured the horizontal sill, the bit under the door and it’s 45mm, when I compared this to my 6 ( which Stuart restored) and they are 50mm so about the 3/16 you are referring to. 

Next challenge is that if I try and reshape the sill I only currently have about a 5/16 upstanding lip against the inner sill, going to be tight to get that welded and then will the resulting seem be enough for the door seal to grip on to …….

Thinking it’s a new Heritage sill 

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Rich thanks for this, think you may have put your finger on the issue, I measured the horizontal sill, the bit under the door and it’s 45mm, when I compared this to my 6 ( which Stuart restored) and they are 50mm so about the 3/16 you are referring to. 

Next challenge is that if I try and reshape the sill I only currently have about a 5/16 upstanding lip against the inner sill, going to be tight to get that welded and then will the resulting seem be enough for the door seal to grip on to …….

Thinking it’s a new Heritage sill 

The new heritage sills are apparently a good fit so I would go with that instead.

Stuart.

57 minutes ago, stuart said:

The new heritage sills are apparently a good fit so I would go with that instead.

Stuart.

Ordered !

Have now got the Heritage sill fitted up, at the back the sill edge fits nicely with the front of the door skin, however at the front , even with the door fully ‘in’ on the hinges the door shin is still proud of the sill edge, was thinking I could push the inner sill out a bit to push the edge of the sill out, but that would the move the bottom of the A post out, which will push the bottom of the door out ? 

Help :blink:

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Have now got the Heritage sill fitted up, at the back the sill edge fits nicely with the front of the door skin, however at the front , even with the door fully ‘in’ on the hinges the door shin is still proud of the sill edge, was thinking I could push the inner sill out a bit to push the edge of the sill out, but that would the move the bottom of the A post out, which will push the bottom of the door out ? 

Photos please.

Mick Richards

Did you fit a new inner sill? If you did then did you fit it to the edge depression of the floor correctly?

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 150 - Copy.jpg

Ah I’ve done mine ‘flush’ good job I checked and it’s only held in with a couple of pop rivets at the moment 

thanks chaps 

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Removing the 'flush' would that actually help!!

Roger

7 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Removing the 'flush' would that actually help!!

Roger

I did wonder about this, as it’s moving  things inboard where I need to go outboard, but clamping the end caps to the floor and inner sill it puts the extreme outboard points of the end caps on the line I want the sill to be on, just need to wrap the outer sill round the end caps now but job for another day me thinks 

10 minutes ago, stuart said:

You missed the point, moving the inner sill in moves the "A" post etc further in so the door moves in.

Stuart.

Just as well I don’t do this for a living I’d be very hungry :D

thanks Stuart