Hi Phil,

I used SBS500/30 from Moss.  It is a Securon inertia belt kit with 300mm long fixed buckles. It comes with hardware to fit to a car with pre installed mounting points, which of course we don`t have, so you need to buy 4 reinforcing nut plates for each belt. The inertia reel goes low down on the inner wheel arch, the shoulder guide on the top of the arch, I put the static buckles as far into the corner of the tunnel as I could get them, but depending on your seats you may need them further forward. My car is post 60000 so has a shorter tunnel than the earlier cars anyway. Then the final fixed mounting of the lap belt needs to be through the floor by the "B" pillar. 

It is almost impossible to fit them so the shoulder belt does not rub on the wheel arch trim, but it doesn`t affect the operation on mine.

They work well, and allow me to lean forward to reach the handbrake.

I note that in 2020 when I bought mine they were £57.30 inc vat each, but have gone up to £63.10, though currently on sale at £50

Ralph

20220731_083915.jpg

20220731_083829.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
2 hours ago, billy l said:

Hi Phil, here's mine with the reel fitted above the rear seat there's plenty of room.  Cheers, Bill.

0097.JPG

Just make sure the hood frame goes up and down ok.

The rear occasional seat cushion is easily cleared, but be sure there is sufficient room to get it out without removing the inertia box.

The outer mount can go through the base of the arch or through the floor. Just think about seat adjustment.   The tunnel stalk fitting has been covered above..

I have the same Securon belts in my car.   My only frustration is the belt rubbing on the arch.

Peter W

• 4 months later...
On 12/22/2022 at 3:32 PM, Susan Bonnett said:

Just one question please. I have read that if the belt guide is fitted to the horizontal top surface of the wheel arch the belts have a tendency to slip off the shoulder. The recommendation was to mount them on the vertical face. it is a job I'll be doing shortly so would appreciate your advice. thank you.

I found that with mine, ended up fitting full harness type with shoulder straps secured to a bar across the car just in front of the top of the tank. Later changed to a similar bar which was part of a roll over bar (from Revington)

Bob

On 12/22/2022 at 3:32 PM, Susan Bonnett said:

Just one question please. I have read that if the belt guide is fitted to the horizontal top surface of the wheel arch the belts have a tendency to slip off the shoulder. The recommendation was to mount them on the vertical face. it is a job I'll be doing shortly so would appreciate your advice. thank you.

It is not a problem I have encountered with my belts , in fact when the belt is not in use it tends to disappear down the side of the seat but I can reach round to the top mounting and retrieve it, which might be difficult if the top mount was lower down on the side of the wheel arch.  I would fit the buckle to the tunnel and the reel to the inner arch and then get someone to hold the top mount in different places before drilling the hole to get a feel for the different positions.

Ralph

4 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

It is not a problem I have encountered with my belts , in fact when the belt is not in use it tends to disappear down the side of the seat but I can reach round to the top mounting and retrieve it, which might be difficult if the top mount was lower down on the side of the wheel arch.  I would fit the buckle to the tunnel and the reel to the inner arch and then get someone to hold the top mount in different places before drilling the hole to get a feel for the different positions.

Ralph

Good advice Ralph, thank you.