Hello, reading previous threads I notice some have fitted the above to their cars, on a 4A can it be fitted with head, studs and bolts in situ or is it better fitted prior to refitting the cylinder head, cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have my heater valve screwed straight into the cylinder head, rather than using the bent bit of gas pipe to raise it up . . .

P1410643a.thumb.JPG.00de52f4b26103d065485cdcaf36362f.JPG   P1410531a.JPG.62e5a568b9fc2ed61a1e5f3d5bb374f7.JPG

^ but then I have to remove the valve to torque the cylinder head down .  As you can see this valve head is more compact than the original, but still overlaps.  I might only presume that the bent-pipe-extension was specifically intended to offer clear access to that stud.

P1410859.JPG.45075f6356d7a014e2a6ebca283ab967.JPG

^ removing the valve is no big deal, once the threads are clean and lubricated, but possibly most owners would prefer not to part-drain the coolant just for the sake of torquing the head down.   

Personally speaking - during an engine rebuild - I'd fit the valve afterwards, in fact after the engine is finally installed ..so it doesn't get knocked and damaged.  Come to think of it, if I remember correctly..  an engine lifting eye is fitted to that back corner (which is missing on my car) so possibly you'll have to fit the valve after the engine is reinstalled anyway. 

If the engine is already on its mounts and just the head is being fitted, then I'd still fit the head first so as to not damage the valve. It's pretty lightweight construction compared to a cast iron cylinder head. Just my opinion of course, Anyway I hope useful.

Pete 

Edited by Bfg

Hello Roger, gas pipe? Is it best screwed straight into the cylinder head or into the elbow in the cylinder head?, thanks

You could use the TR4/4A malleable iron 45 degree fitting instead but would need to wind it in to a position that allowed access the the nut, as long as it was tall enough to clear the nut!.  From Moss it is a tenner from the plumbers it is a couple of quid.  
CORRECTION. 3/8” BSPT.    Thank you Drewmotty      1/4"BSP I think.

https://www.pipedreamfittings.com/product/elbow-45-male-female-galvanised-malleable-iron/

image.png.934015b2a6733391231b8aac9850e2b2.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
12 hours ago, AndrewMAshton said:

Hello Roger, gas pipe? Is it best screwed straight into the cylinder head or into the elbow in the cylinder head?, thanks

Hi Andrew,

I have found the elbow gives more room.

Roger

Thanks all, I have the one from Revington, even more expensive, but at least it mirrors the original, great for concours, unfortunately the rest of the car fails on originality, cheers, Andrew