Rear panel flanges

Slowly working my way around the car and have got to the rear panel, found a rust hole about the size of a stamp, and by the time I’d cut back to ‘good’ metal the hole was the size of an envelope :o I realise now that the whole panel is very thin due to copious amounts of water and road salt.

so question, both of the flanges where the rear panel bolt to the rear wings need repair as although they are still present they have all the structural integrity of a paper doily. My concern is that if I make repair sections and try and weld them in I will be chasing ‘blow throughs’ until I get to the other side of the panel. So was wondering about making backing plates for the flanges and the using panel adhesive to stick them in place, and if so what panel adhesive would be suitable.

In an ideal world the rear panel would becoming off, but need to keep an eye on the budget.

TIA 

Graham 

Hi Graham,

Harry has the best approach.

But if you are not confident in going that route then consider your backing plate idea.

You say the back panel is bolted in place.  In which case why do you need to bond it in place.???

Make the backing plate (1.2mm or 1.5mm) and use the fixing screws to hold it there.

Make sure that the backing plate and panel flange are very well protected.

If the panel flange looks as if it could let go then  follow Harry's suggestion.

Roger

If you are on a budget then do what you must, but sometimes the proper way takes much longer and always is the best way certainly if selling the car on later. I have found many "budget" repairs in my time and at times surprising but if its not structural then bonding would seem a good way to go.  

23 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

I know you have a strict budget Graham but bodging is not the way I am afraid. Do it right and do it once. But what do I know.

Your car, your restoration and you have time on your side.

Regards Harry

Yes definitely, take your time, think about it and take your time welding it up.

Stuart.