TR6 speedometer is almost dead!

Hi all you helpful people. Here’s the problem. My work in progress 6 speedometer is not working properly. At about 40 mph is reads 10.I just assumed it was a fried cable so replaced it with a shiny new one from Rimmers . Sadly just the same problem.

I then disconnected the cable at the right angle drive end and connected a drill to it and it seemed to work. Then I removed the right angle drive and did the same. That also seemed fine. Then I connected the cable to the angle drive and used the drill to make it rotate. That still worked fine. 
I then reassembled the whole lot and went for a drive. Despair.

The speedometer bounced around 10 mph.

Does anyone have any idea what to do next. Could it be the drive mechanism in the actual gearbox?

I had a similar problem with the speedo in my TR6.  It was caused by slippage inside the angle drive. Testing with a drill suggested all was fine but on the road,  the AD was slipping. 

A new angle drive solved the problem but be careful of cheap repro drives,  some don't last long. 

Nigel

49 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

I had a similar problem with the speedo in my TR6.  It was caused by slippage inside the angle drive. Testing with a drill suggested all was fine but on the road,  the AD was slipping. 

A new angle drive solved the problem but be careful of cheap repro drives,  some don't last long. 

Nigel

Hi Colin

If you want a genuine OEM manufactured type as per the Smiths original, you will have to go to a company in Wales called Caerbont Automotive Instruments Part No BG2401-05. They deal direct but on a Pro-Forma basis. I paid around £80 but no aggro  from the usual suspects, as this part has a history of poor quality.

Tel:01639 7372200

Bruce.

3 hours ago, astontr6 said:

There is nothing wrong with them but they look a bit agriculture.

Bruce.

They are really good and dont fail.

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, wheeler said:

£35 at the TR Shop, you could buy 3 for the price of one of the others!

Bill

I have had 3 failures of the old original type . Granted the last failure was down to a knackered  speedo cable ….Stuart fitted the speedo -Lichfield one and I know longer have to worry about the speedo stopping . Well worth the expense . 

47 minutes ago, wheeler said:

Bill

They arent that well made and do tend to fail fairly regularly Im afraid. If you have the access plates on the gearbox cover and enjoy stripping it all out to change them then go ahead.

Stuart.

Thank you all for the information and advice.

Although when I tested the angle drive it seemed okay chances are that it is faulty. But just a thought, looking at the Rimmer catalog there is a nylon gear in the gearbox that drives the cable. It seems to push in from the outside and I read it is easily changed. Has anyone had cause the change this gear?

Thanks again.

Colin A.

17 hours ago, wheeler said:

Bill

The only trouble is the cheap repro ones have a habit of failing very quickly and there was a big write up in TR Action about there failure rate and how to repair the original Smiths ones if they fail. My Smiths one on my car is nearly 50 years old! I would not buy the £35 ones?

Bruce.