Delivery insurance for learner drivers

This has been bugging me.  You will have all seen the motorcycle learners carrying the huge bag of food on their backs for certain food delivery companies.

How do they manage to get insurance for commercial work as learners ?  Or are they ignoring that, along with their employers ?

Is it even legal to ride a motorbike wearing a large backpack, as it must make them unstable ?

Anyone know ?  Irritates me, along with the electric scooters being used illegally on the road & pavement, often without lights. 

Thanks Duncan

I’d be surprised if they had cover for “work use”

but not illegal for backpacks or big fixed boxes and panniers.

The company they are delivering for would have a company wide blanket cover.

The L plates are so anybody is covered almost immediately.

A better question would be - are they capable of driving safely

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

The company they are delivering for would have a company wide blanket cover.

I think that's very unlikely for most operators in the gig economy. Deliveroo, for example, leaves it to its riders to sort out their own insurance. There are plenty of criminal cases brought to court of "no insurance" involving food delivery activities, I assume the police do a lot of checking.

[EDIT] Just checked and one of the biggest providers of food delivery rider insurance will indeed insure learner riders, provided they've taken their basic CBT.

Nigel

Edited by Bleednipple
13 hours ago, Bleednipple said:

I think that's very unlikely for most operators in the gig economy. Deliveroo, for example, leaves it to its riders to sort out their own insurance. There are plenty of criminal cases brought to court of "no insurance" involving food delivery activities, I assume the police do a lot of checking.

[EDIT] Just checked and one of the biggest providers of food delivery rider insurance will indeed insure learner riders, provided they've taken their basic CBT.

Nigel