WANTED - TR4A Front leather seats

14 hours ago, Jase said:

Before I go through the process of re-building mine does anyone have a good set of front TR4A seats available? Preferably leather.

Thanks

Unless you want to stay original but prefer comfort I would go for MX5 seats as a lot of us have.

Stuart.

It is very tempting to go down the MX5 seat route but I'm going to stick with the originals. I find them quite comfortable and I don't currently do long journeys in her.

58 minutes ago, Jase said:

It is very tempting to go down the MX5 seat route but I'm going to stick with the originals. I find them quite comfortable and I don't currently do long journeys in her.

Go and try a car with them fitted and then see what you think ;)

Stuart.

39 minutes ago, stuart said:

Go and try a car with them fitted and then see what you think ;)

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, had a couple of MX5s etc and to be honest they are too modern for me. I know what you are saying though, it's good to have a choice and my wallet says yes :)  - thanks

Edited by Jase

I have MX5 seats in my TR4A (the style with separate headrests). I added them for several reasons. First, the stock ones were scrap, both the structure and covers. Second, I did find the MX5 seats more comfortable. However the most important reason was safety. The traffic here in New Jersey is what I would call “aggressive”, bordering on downright manic. This is especially true on secondary roads with traffic lights. 
Many years ago an acquaintance of mine was driving his stock ‘62 Mini Countryman (shoulder height seats) and was stopped at a traffic light. Another driver, not paying attention (and this was before cell phones), struck him from behind. The impact wasn’t that severe, as the Mini didn’t suffer bad damage, but the impact was enough to fatally snap his neck, as his head was not supported.

So now not only do I have “modern” seats with headrests, I’ve fitted a roll over-bar (with a center mounted brake light mounted to it), LED brake lights, and 3 point ratchet style seatbelts. Do I realize that none of that will really save me if an inattentive SUV decides to run a red light? Absolutely! However it still does give me piece of mind while I’m out enjoying my car in the sunshine.

Just my 2p.

Jim

30A28682-5AD8-4811-A479-1F407E65167F.jpeg

Edited by Tr4aJim
Spelling

I bought my tr4a with tired tr6 US seats.  I like the style better than MX5 seats that are too modern to me. I would not want to drive a car without headrests, this is the minimum level of safety to me, but we all do our own risk assessment....

Here is picture of the seats just finished in black leather,

cheers,

Laurent

07c3df60-6099-4093-8621-33581cd7913b (2).jpeg

4 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

I have MX5 seats in my TR4A (the style with separate headrests). I added them for several reasons. First, the stock ones were scrap, both the structure and covers. Second, I did find the MX5 seats more comfortable. However the most important reason was safety. The traffic here in New Jersey is what I would call “aggressive”, bordering on downright manic. This is especially true on secondary roads with traffic lights. 
Many years ago an acquaintance of mine was driving his stock ‘62 Mini Countryman (shoulder height seats) and was stopped at a traffic light. Another driver, not paying attention (and this was before cell phones), struck him from behind. The impact wasn’t that severe, as the Mini didn’t suffer bad damage, but the impact was enough to fatally snap his neck, as his head was not supported.

So now not only do I have “modern” seats with headrests, I’ve fitted a roll over-bar (with a center mounted brake light mounted to it), LED brake lights, and 3 point ratchet style seatbelts. Do I realize that none of that will really save me if an inattentive SUV decides to run a red light? Absolutely! However it still does give me piece of mind while I’m out enjoying my car in the sunshine.

Just my 2p.

Jim

30A28682-5AD8-4811-A479-1F407E65167F.jpeg

Jim....Pardon me if I have enquired previously.....where did you source the seat belt guides that attach to the outside of the seats.

Mal, I found them on EBay several years ago, and I don’t remember the exact make/model, but they are very similar to these (but I paid about half of what this seller is asking) -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334168440155?hash=item4dcdfdbd5b:g:OScAAOSwvAZhWRu9

As I recall, I had to widen one of the mounting holes a little to fit the headrest posts. They work very well at keeping the belt to hand. However they are plastic, and flex a bit, but in my config the force of drawing the belt off the ratchet is taken by the steel guide I have mounted to the rollover bar.

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim
Spelling