Two Measurements Required on Steering Rack for TR4A Please

1...Accurate overall length between the steering rack ball/pivots...centre to centre...[not the outer tie rod ends]....approx 26.75 " ?
2... Angle of the rack pinion shaft relative to the horizontal line of the chassis.....approx 25 deg?
And a further question to help a dummy....theoretically, if one was to draw a line between the top and bottom inner control arm pivot points, where should that line intersect the centre of the steering rack, at the rack ball pivots?

Question2, Yes in an ideal world the suspension pivots and the steering pivots should be the same centres to eliminate bump steer.

Ralph

18 hours ago, peter clarke said:

1.  27.94     source Haynes Manual

Thanks Peter....Haynes Manual should be correct :rolleyes:...Not convinced as yet.

Edited by Malbaby
3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Question2, Yes in an ideal world the suspension pivots and the steering pivots should be the same centres to eliminate bump steer.

Ralph

+1 for the same y-position / height above the street,

for the x-position „behind“ each other a closer look on the steering geometry is needed 

What makes the inside wheel angled more than outside wheel?

Edited by Z320
9 hours ago, Z320 said:

+1 for the same y-position / height above the street,

for the x-position „behind“ each other a closer look on the steering geometry is needed 

What makes the inside wheel angled more than outside wheel?

Thanks Marco.....not sure on your X and Y?

The length of the old one from my LHD TR4A is 707 mm from on top of the nut to on top of the nut, the tie rods bolted on.

From center tie rod ball to center tie rod ball could be 20 mm less (the about d=1“ balls reach out the nut about 2-3 mm)

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks Marco....

Can you assist with the pinion angle question please, plus, what angle is your lower steering column shaft to the horizontal line of the chassis....25deg??

Also, I have two old racks where the rib/flange is cut at a different angle, see pic...I presume this is not factory??

IMG_1455_LI.jpg

20 hours ago, Z320 said:

The lower steering shaft in angled 23-24 degrees, measured with a digital gauge in the car with the car on in parking position.

Thanks Marco....so the base mount brackets that are welded to the chassis should have been horizontal from the factory. [although on my 4A project car the base plates are about 5deg]

But now the extra approx 4 deg must be taken up by the uni joints

Or in theory the mount base plates should angle down 4deg towards the rear of the car [ but that cannot be correct] to achieve the steering column shaft angle of 24deg.  :D

Edited by Malbaby

Pics as requested.

This is a TR4A IRS chassis that will have a 6cyl TR6 engine fitted.

Pic 1...I have welded in 40mm rhs.

Pic 2& 3...Shows position of the temporary brackets with the rack in position with tie rods straight.

Pic 4...Bracket in what I believe is the factory position. Tie rods angle towards the rear of the car with approx 13mm offset.

Pic 5...Bracket moved to the rear approx 13mm.

Pic 6...Distance between the rear face of the rack and the front face of the main cross member is approx 95mm.

Pic 7...centre of bracket and therefore rack is 30mm above the base line.

My engine is dismantled ATM, so I cannot place it in situ to check clearances.

Please note that I will be delating the engine fan.

One aspect that bothers me is if there is enough clearance between the front engine components and the rack if it is moved back about 13mm.

IMG_1462 (2)_LI.jpg

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464_LI.jpg

IMG_1465 (2).JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467 (2)_LI.jpg

IMG_1468 (2)_LI.jpg

Hi Malcom,

the crossmember in front of the oil sump is lovely to relate measurements to,

I will do some on my 4A in about 10 hours (now at my office). Two thinks I can tell you now already:

With your DIY steeling rack crossmenber it will be a bit finger braking to bolt the steering rack in position, special later when the car is assembled.

And you still want to use the original TR4A "one bolt"-brackets to hold the wishbones? It will rip off one day, guess why I sadly know....

You better drill the frame suitable to use the later TR6 "two bolts"-brackets.

Ciao, Marco

Hi Malcom,

I have to tell you the truth: of cause I can measure and make photos,

but comparing your photos with my TR4A I have been shocked what I realised and did not want to be involved more in your project.

But - knowing this I can't stay silent and let you go on your way. So I did some sketches with my old and simpe CAD.

I told you at another post the position of the rack and the angled tie rods are the steering geometry and you should not change it.

The tie rods are moving sidewards and in circles and turn the wheels in circles, triangles and angles are in- and degreasing.

The next sketch is "approx. about" in in dimensions of our TRs, but it#s only for the principle.

Green the steering rack, moving it XY mm to the left turns the inner wheel more than the outer wheel, that's like it should be

dPDBPpLG76RWQKwK5Hh5N0rM_rZsK9SsyArRXz1d

Next I move the rack  35 mm back and see what happens with the same turns on the steering wheel.

The inner wheel turns more, the outer less, that's also OK, I guess this car steers more with the same turns on the steering wheel.

2VOH11gI7ZGJU2Nl_bVMfx6X5WRnX5bCaWrA2AD_

Please compare

UbxH5G-fwB17DZigvYRsiizndHaHo_640RaIrEzQ

Next I move the rack forward in line to the tie rods, this is what you want to do.....

JM9Mxrf1e3ovw34yBFJGtZF_e6jNr4_hKMNrWhAw

The outside wheel turns more than the inside wheel!

With this construction you can only slide the car through a curve!

The center line of the wheels will never cross, the lines are expanding.

cw9XBxYcYDCTIGXJBSBfH_m9m0nR0MIsLcEUi2T3

My post may be unpolite, I could have sent you a PM.

But sorry me, all this work makes no sence for only one person.

My advice to all of you: change nothing on the steering geometry if you don't know what you are doing!

For more information browse the web for "Ackermann steering"

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Dumb me trying to understand the following difference in steering geometry, and how it works, not why it was done.

TR4A IRS chassis with 4 cyl engine, rack is mounted to the rear of the lower control arm brackets with the tie rods angled out of the rack towards the front of the car.

TR6 has the rack mounted to the front of the LCA's, with the tie rods angled slightly to the rear of the car.

Edited by Malbaby