Since it affects all the lights this is unlikely to be an earth fault unless you have lost all electrics - in which case it will be the battery earth. The common point is the power feed to the lighting switch. It isn't fused but comes direct from the battery (via the ammeter if yours is an earlier car). 

For '72 and earlier, the wiring diagram shows an in-line bullet connector in the brown/white wire to the lighting switch. It could be that.

Edited by RobH

Hi Ken,

did this happen when using only the battery  or when driving.

If only the battery then the Ammeter may have gone open circuit.  Can you see it move with any other load.

If when running then as Rob states there is a bullet connector between the ignition switch and the light switch.

Roger

I suggest you check your fuses with a multimeter.

I lost my lights in Austria and got pulled over by the police, didn't notice as we were in town with street lights. Checked the fuses by the side of the road and they looked OK in the torch light. As we were less than 100m from our hotel the police kindly let us drive there. After spending time checking everything over in the morning with a multimeter it came back to the fuse so I changed it over and all was well. Looking carefully at the fuse I couldn't see anything wrong with it, the wire inside looked complete, I can only presume that the break was hidden by one of the end caps. I've subsequently seen on various fora that there are duff glass fuses circulating.

Dave

1 hour ago, roy53 said:

it was a wire that came off from the foot dip switch

We are told that all the lights are lost. The dip-switch affects only the headlights.

3 minutes ago, DaveB66 said:

I suggest you check your fuses with a multimeter.

As standard there is no fuse in the headlamp circuit. 

23 hours ago, Ken Trethewey said:

Hi guys! My lights suddenly died, side and main front and back. The fuse and switch are fine. What else could it be?

Thanks in advance.

ken

I would check the light switch very carefully if its a Clear Hooters one they are known to be a faulty type. I have had a number of their switches fail over the years and replaced them with a Lucas ones.

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...