Clattering sound - 4 banger

Symptom:  heading uphill, shift from 2nd to 3rd a little prematurely, and I am hearing a bit of clattering from my motor.  If I keep at higher rpm it does not happen.  I suspect valve gear or something at the top end.  Any suggestions?   It has been a bit of a developing issue on a motor rebuilt a few years ago.

Cheers

Dan

Sounds like it’s “pinking” or “knocking”

this is a detonation, timing, fuel quality issue not really mechanical. 
 Try a tank of the best fuel and check your timing. 

Slacken the fan belt and…..Wobble the water pump pulley and the dynamo pulley.  Plus check security of the dynamo.  Also check mechanical fan security.

may not be the issue but will eliminate them before you start tearing into the engine.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Dan,

As Peter states the mechanical fan area is a good area to check for rattles. When the motor was rebuilt was the front pulley torqued up to at least 120 lb ft ? The manual says 140 lb ft but in deference to it's age I use 120 and in the many I've built they don't come loose at that.

If they come loose the woodruff key in the crank batters at the keyway like a mini impact driver and can cut it's own slot there sideways into the pulley (worst I found when stripping made about 6mm !) bugger to get the pulley off until I sussed it. 

Mick Richards

• 1 month later...

To follow up on this thread, it has been sorted!  Case of “pinking”.   Fresh high octane fuel was the first attempt - with little joy.  Retarding the timing a bit did the trick.  And I learned (by watching) how to use a timing light, twist the dissie a smidge after loosening the (whtiworth?) securing bolt, and also listen for the slightly lowering rpm.  Thanks for the help guys!

cheers

Dan