Side Screen Flap Material

My Oct 1957  ex USA came with aluminium aftermarket side screens which i intend to keep as the aluminium is in good condition and i only need two new flaps making plus some new Perspex.

I have persuaded my hood supplier (Carn Bosavern Garage)to make me two new flaps out of the same mohair matl as the hood they are making for me.

Issue they/I have is the the current vinyl flaps  have a stiffener between the inner/outer vinyl which looks like thick cardboard, not the most waterproof  of materials Any one made their own flaps and if so what did you use for this stiffening piece that can be sewn into the flap

Once again thanks to those who replied to my unknown pieces of wood yesterday, problem solved and now screwed firmly in correct location

Regards Adrian Salisbury

Flappy bottom sidescreens of the original type had a wire former to keep the shape, something like 3/16" fencing wire.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
2 hours ago, stuart said:

Flappy bottom sidescreens of the original type had a wire former to keep the shape, something like 3/16" fencing wire.

Stuart.

I have a couple of NOS lower wire frames and one NOS upper frame with legs for flappy bottom TR2 sidescreens.

Please PM if interested.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
13 hours ago, Adie TR3A said:

My Oct 1957  ex USA came with aluminium aftermarket side screens which i intend to keep as the aluminium is in good condition and i only need two new flaps making plus some new Perspex.

I have persuaded my hood supplier (Carn Bosavern Garage)to make me two new flaps out of the same mohair matl as the hood they are making for me.

Issue they/I have is the the current vinyl flaps  have a stiffener between the inner/outer vinyl which looks like thick cardboard, not the most waterproof  of materials Any one made their own flaps and if so what did you use for this stiffening piece that can be sewn into the flap

Once again thanks to those who replied to my unknown pieces of wood yesterday, problem solved and now screwed firmly in correct location

Regards Adrian Salisbury

Probably mill board, available from Woolies, not waterproof though. Would probably be OK in a vinyl pocket, but not sure about mohair as it probably breaths and may allow damp air in.

Ralph

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Probably mill board, available from Woolies, not waterproof though. Would probably be OK in a vinyl pocket, but not sure about mohair as it probably breaths and may allow damp air in.

Ralph

If it's mill board, painting it with 5:1 waterproof PVA will help.

Rgds Ian

or cover a suitable thickness of perspex rot proof ridged enough and no-one will see it