16 hours ago, stillp said:

Interesting - mines is a TR5 type then. A bit of a surprise as it came from a nearly new 4A, but it (the donor car) had had some front end damage repaired so perhaps the bonnet had been replaced with the later type.

Pete

Probably all that was available at the time, one of our members down here had to have a bonnet replaced a few years ago due to a shunt and because a new or suitable replacement wasnt available at the time the insurance coughed for an ally one.

Stuart.

11 hours ago, qkingston said:

My 65 4a has the LBB but no cone cups

David 

LBB?

Stuart.

Early one I think.

Im not sure when it changed from the ‘similar to TR3B’ bonnet pads to TR4a cones but I have an October 64 TR4 (registered in the USA aim late January 1965) with its original bonnet that has ‘cones’ and had a March 65 UK market TR4a (again with its original bonnet) that did not, so I suspect the changeover was toward the end of TR4 production, but as usual I would have thought that any panels in stock were used up until they were gone unless there is a recorded changeover date ?

1 hour ago, TR4Tony VC said:

Early one I think.

Im not sure when it changed from the ‘similar to TR3B’ bonnet pads to TR4a cones but I have an October 64 TR4 (registered in the USA aim late January 1965) with its original bonnet that has ‘cones’ and had a March 65 UK market TR4a (again with its original bonnet) that did not, so I suspect the changeover was toward the end of TR4 production, but as usual I would have thought that any panels in stock were used up until they were gone unless there is a recorded changeover date ?

Supposed change to pointed cones at CT37689. though as you say the factory used what they had.

Stuart.

That makes sense Stuart as my Oct 64 car is CT38k ish.

There was another change somewhere early in TR4a production (the front of the inner frame and related to badge holes ?) and as far as I know this was it until the later production TR250 / TR5 bonnets came in toward the end of TR4a production. Do you know the change numbers there ?

CT78635 which was built in the last week of production in early July (3rd) when the TR5 /TR250 had just started on the line had its original TR5 ‘black primer’ bonnet on it when I restored the car about 25 years ago.

I had an identical NOS spares bonnet at the time too, with no badge holes drilled in the nose and this was the final pressing of the long bulge bonnet as far as I know.

1 hour ago, TR4Tony VC said:

That makes sense Stuart as my Oct 64 car is CT38k ish.

There was another change somewhere early in TR4a production (the front of the inner frame and related to badge holes ?) and as far as I know this was it until the later production TR250 / TR5 bonnets came in toward the end of TR4a production. Do you know the change numbers there ?

CT78635 which was built in the last week of production in early July (3rd) when the TR5 /TR250 had just started on the line had its original TR5 ‘black primer’ bonnet on it when I restored the car about 25 years ago.

I had an identical NOS spares bonnet at the time too, with no badge holes drilled in the nose and this was the final pressing of the long bulge bonnet as far as I know.

Early 4a bonnet change may well have been them using up the last of the 4 bonnet inner frame sections, no idea on change numbers though.

I went to view one of the last production 4a down here about ten years ago, it was valencia and had TR5 black column switches and rostyles.

Stuart.

Yes CT78635 had TR5 column switches and tail lights too, but when I bought it was on TR4a steel wheels with hubcaps and it’s original non overdrive gearbox.