Four wheels, need Blasting etc , but not curbed or bashed about. On knackered Tyres. !

Collection only please from Nottinghamshire. 

Price is £75 only.

Conrad.

20210305_171329.jpg

Edited by openroad
Missed out the picture !

Yes they are Bob, 

I  really should have said that too.

Cheers Conrad 

On 3/6/2021 at 6:27 PM, Lebro said:

TR5 wheels were the 1st to go to 4½" (I think)

Bob.

nope, 4 1/2"started from TR3A all the way to TR5.  

So when Triumph wrote the original owner's handbook when the car was made they were wrong, but a book written much later is right ?  :unsure:

3 minutes ago, RobH said:

So when Triumph wrote the original owner's handbook when the car was made they were wrong, but a book written much later is right ?  :unsure:

If you read the history behind those wheels width -back to TR2- in Bill Pig's book you'll probably backoff a bit. And that wouldn't be the first time that one finds mistakes in these holy manuals/handbooks.

32 minutes ago, iain said:

TR5 for the move to 4 1/2" rim, all previous were 4". 

Iain

Yes, as I said !   Bill P is always happy to admit to not always getting it right, but he does most of the time.

The very 1st TR steel wheels (4") had the outer riveted to the center, & they had a strength problem, which I believe came out when they were being raced,

they were quickly replaced with a stronger version, & I doubt if any of the original ones still exist.

The stronger version were still 4" between rims, & the center still riveted to the outer. This wheel continued up to & including TR4A's.

The TR5's had  4½" between rims, & the centers were spot welded to the outer.

Finally TR6's went for 5½" welded rims.

Bob.

Spot on Bob, hence 4 1/2” are quite rare. The much missed Alec P furnished me with a lovely set which I use for me winter tyres.

Iain

• openroad changed the title to Tr4/4a Wheels for Sale. Now SOLD.

I am with you lads , that they changed at TR5 to 4.5 ins , inner rim to inner rim.

Now SOLD to a Member.

Conrad.

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, openroad said:

Four wheels, need Blasting etc , but not curbed or bashed about. On knackered Tyres. !

Collection only please from Nottinghamshire. 

Price is £75 only.

Conrad.

20210305_171329.jpg

20210305_171329.jpg

3 hours ago, Bfg said:

I bought this set of four pressed-steel-wheels, believing they were 4 1/2J's off a TR250 / TR5, but wherever that thought came from ..I was mistaken - I had bought a set of 4J's.  I emphasis that this was not the seller's fault, it was my own. oops :wacko:.  I only discovered it - after I had removed their old tyres. 

These x4 wheels, now with their tyres removed, are again offered for sale  by me., Bfg, in Ipswich, Suffolk.  Same price as I paid ..£75.  There are in fact a couple of dents in the rims but I'm sure they would tap out easily enough before blasting and repaint. 

cheers,

Pete

Edited by Bfg
  • openroad changed the title to Tr4/4a Wheels for Sale. For Sale Again.

Just Updated the Heading.

To avoid any doubt , the thread can be confusing, 

These are 4 inch rims.

Cheers Conrad. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • openroad changed the title to Tr4/4a Wheels for Sale. Now Sold.

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.