Coolant Plug

hi chaps

fun in man cave last night.  As part of winter project I am doing a top end rebuild and general cleanup.

Anyway, as many have suggested, I removed coolant bolt under manifold and tried cleaning out with a wire coat hanger.  I simply could not shove it in, blocked solid.  I then got a sharp screwdriver and eventually made a hole through the hard crud and out came a litre+ of coolant (+ the gunge).  Note, I'd already drained coolant from bottom of rad.  Now I am hoping there are no blockages further up and may at some point do a flush, but thought I'd share this fun experience!

Richard

Hi Rich,

after many years of marginal coolant changes the insides of the 6 and 4 cylinder engines will go rusty. The back end (rear pot) has a very poor water flow and so particles end up there. It becomes solid.  Frequent (2 years or so) coolant changes will help to stop this.

After 22 years my blue coolant comes ut blue at change time.

The waterless coolant works better to keep corrosion away but has other problems in my mind.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
35 minutes ago, barrytr4 said:

richard --Sorry thought to meant the one under the rocker cover, It might need replacing --Barry

cheers Barry, no it was just my breakfast/coffee typing was not so clear!  But it was a btch to dig out the grime and corrosion, really had to dig in there with a shart screwdriver but there was a good satisfaction when all the old coolant came out :-)

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rich,

after many years of marginal coolant changes the insides of the 6 and 4 cylinder engines will go rusty. The back end (rear pot) has a very poor water flow and so particles end up there. It becomes solid.  Frequent (2 years or so) coolant changes will help to stop this.

After 22 years my blue coolant comes ut blue at change time.

The waterless coolant works better to keep corrosion away but has other problems in my mind.

Roger

As I have said before, there is nothing like doing a partial drain down and putting in a dose of Furnox  cleaner for a week or so and driving the car. My car was not blocked at tall after first rebuild in 44 years!. Cylinders 5 & 6 had no lime scale on them and I was told that was unusual.

Bruce.

I would be inclined to take the 4 welsh plugs out on the right hand side, as you have the manifolds off, also have a good dig in there while the head is off in the water jacket generally, you will be amazed how much stuff is in there.

The main oil gallery will also benefit as it will be closer to the water jacket.

John