Forgive me if you already know this, but I have just learned that Ethanol free petrol is still available. Esso Synergy Supreme, despite having E5 labels on the pumps, contains no Ethanol, the labels are a legal requirement in the UK for all petrol containing up to 5% ethanol even when the content is zero.

Given the known detrimental effects of ethanol on older fuel systems it would seem to be a good idea to put a tank full of Synergy in the car on the last run before lay up perhaps.

Just thought I would pass it on.

Ralph

That has been discussed here before Ralph. It is possibly true only in certain areas of the country served by specific refineries - though even then there is no guarantee as you can never be sure where the tanker supplying the garage came from.  In some areas it is definitely not true. 

19 minutes ago, RobH said:

That has been discussed here before Ralph. It is possibly true only in certain areas of the country served by specific refineries - though even then there is no guarantee as you can never be sure where the tanker supplying the garage came from.  In some areas it is definitely not true. 

Quite right, not available in Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland according to my source.

9 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Quite right, not available in Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland according to my source.

Is your source Esso themselves Ralph?

This info has been made available on the Esso website: https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

The relevant statement being:

"What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol?

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation."

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

My background knowledge with air cooled VWs has educated me into the risk of Ethanol based fuels in rubber etc.   You need R9 rated fuel I pipes or you risk them rotting from inside out.  Last thing we want in a hot engine bay is fuel.

ATB 

Alex.