Early TR4 Ignition switch wiring

Hi mates 

just replaced the wires on my 1961 TR4 Ignition Switch (as the they were   plus added a wire for O/D I think , it was a wile ago) I don't know if it was right before  but now on accessories position, the wipers/ indicators / overdrive  etc have power,  they are still ok in normal position, not sure if they did have acc' position on the original 1961  car switch  , so not sure about using the original wiring diagram terminal No's , it looks like a switch  of the period small key and a aluminium sheet outer body  w/ the acc' turn key to left position, I think I may have power to the  acc' position terminal , any one idea's? all the best 

barry

In the Lucas ignition switch for TR4

The Acc terminals of the ignition switch has power alone when you turn the key counter-cockwise from the off position

It also has power when the ignition is turned clockwise from the off position, but not when starting the car.

Good luck

TT

Hi Barry,

All TR4’s were fitted with ignition switches having the anti-clockwise “Acc” position, as explained in the original Owners Handbook.

The original Lucas switch was a Model  47SA – the 47SA always being cast into the rear face of the switch.

The part number of this switch was 31873A – which is always stamped into the side of the aluminium body along with the week and year of manufacture.

Regards, Richard

Hi Mates

Thanks for the tips, in the gen' TR4 w/s manual the switch terminals are  numbered 1  to 4 , no  acc' postition?,, On my ignition switch also number 1 to 4 , but the terminal No 4 is accessories , so it is power in (and out to regulator)  No1,,  No 2 ,  power for car  and 3, starter solenoid and No 4 acc vacant',, it  looked complicated first look  but break it down was easy to see--barry

Hi Mates

sorry terminal No 1 power in (and out to light switch) another thing my mate( RAC mechanic)  said  stop light's  normally work ign' off , on TR4 diagram ' ign' must be on?--all the best Barry