Heavy steering?

I find the steering on my TR4 quite heavy (though not as heavy as my 1927 Morris!). Tyres and geometry are all correct (now) and I wonder how much of it may be down to the fact that it has a 14" Motalita steering wheel.

Suggestions please!

Am I missing something or just expecting it to be lighter than it should be?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Is this at low or parking speed, or general driving?  Parking speed etc., steering is certainly MUCH heavier than a modern, power-assisted vehicle.

The first thing I'd do is jack up the front end so that both wheels are off the ground and see what the steering feels like.  Any resistance points to an issue in the rack or tie-rods etc.  You could then go through a logical sequence of uncoupling tie-rods from steering arms to determine if it's rack or uprights, etc.

Tim

It is mainly at parking speeds but also on tight corners. It isn't too much of a problem at the moment but I'm not getting any younger!

Andy

Understood - I would definitely lift the front wheels up to confirm whether this is tyre scrub or something amiss in the steering gear.

A smaller steering wheel at 14" will have an effect, certainly.  I find the same with mine.  Do you have the virtical rack mounts, or the later horizontal?  Not sure if that makes a difference, but I can compare to mine if virtical.

T

1.  How old are the tyres - Older tyres get hard and less pliable.

2.  Pump the tyres up. See if that helps - 28 to 30 psi just to see what difference it might make.

3.  Grease the rack and all suspension/steering/swivel/trunion joints.

Peter W

Not 100% sure which mounts they are. It is a 1962 car so I suspect the earlier type. I will get one of my local club members to have a drive and get a second opinion

Andy

Thanks Peter. Tyres are new and pressures are right. I haven't re-greased lately but I think they are OK. Maybe it is just my OAP body rebelling!:D

Andy

You haven't said what tyres you have - if width more than 165, then it does get even heavier!

The only time I miss my modern Citroen's power steering is when executing a 180 turn to get the TR into the garage - has to be done in 3 back & forth moves and it is HEAVY on 195s!

Ian Cornish

Well. I'm on 165/80/15 tyres, 195s will be heavy in comparison, Ian.

However, my tyre pressure gauge was reading significantly different to my pump. I'm hoping the pump is correct as it is brand new! It certainly feels a bit better now.

Thanks for the offer John. It would be good to get a comparison now that I've clocked up a lot more miles

Andy

They do vary a bit. They can be quite tight when all new trunnions, ball joints and track rod ends have been fitted until they free off. I was surprised that my 4A on 165s was heavier than the 6 on 195s for a while after I rebuilt the front suspension.

If the components are not new and it becomes heavy suspect a failing trunnion or ball joint.