figure of eight sealant

Hi all

so my camshaft change turn into cam bearing renewal which has turned into engine rebuild is welseal still the go to sealant for the figure of eight seals? or is there a newer updated sealant to use? and how much is too much when re assembling. Also because I've gone to 89mm liners I'm going to use the new type composite head gasket is there any views on these type?

Chris   

Wellseal is what I use. It’s worked thus far and has the advantage that it’s relatively easy to break the seal if you need to remove the liners and it’s easy to clean off. 

I paint a fairly generous layer on the seats before positioning the Fo8 seals then follow this with another generous layer on top of the seal before inserting the liner. If you want to go belt and braces you could paint a thin layer on the liner mating surface before you insert it. 

Rgds Ian

+1 with Roger.

There are 4 surfaces that require covering... block Fo8 seats...the underneath of the Fo8 gaskets...the top of the Fo8 gaskets...and the bottom liner seat shelf which will seat on top of the gaskets. A smooth covering on all surfaces is what I give it, if Wellseal was available in a spray can I'd use it, as it is I use a small artists paintbrush and paint it on evenly.

Don't go all logical and think one covering of Wellseal between 2 mating surfaces is the right way...it isn't...do both. Oh...and take care not to paint Wellseal onto the liner spigots that go into the block thinking it increases the sealing area, it inhibits the heat transfer and causes pistons to get nipped...do I have to explain how I know ? Sometimes I broke these engines by trying really innovative methods to increase the power or reliability, sometimes it was by "muddy thinking" and sloppy assembly, I'm ahead in the game at present. As the saying goes..."experience prevents making bad decisions, and the experience is gained by making bad decisions."

Mick Richards 

This has been a useful thread as I am just about to replace the liners in my Citroen engine, a precursor of the TR engine. One of the liners is leaking and contaminating the oil, it dripped on my head when I took the sump off!

Cheers Richard