Crankshaft oil-way plugs

I've asked the machine shop to remove the Allen-key plugs of crankshaft's big-end oil-way drilling (see arrows - Lower RHS of photo ) and to thoroughly clean-out inside the the crankshaft.

They've advised that I'll most likely need to buy new / replacement plugs before reassembly, but I see no part shown in either the official parts book or in the Moss catalogue.  Might someone point them out to me ?      

Thanks, Pete.

P1330031as.jpg.259a15fadb649f05f03909b11255ac7a.jpg

Hi Pete,

I would suggest NOT to remove them. Firstly they are very tight and may need drilling out.

The blind cavity that they create will contain solidified sludge that is going nowhere.

You can clean the remaining oil ways easily without removing these grub screws.

They are 5/16" UNF - nothing special. 

Roger

+1 with Roger. I never remove them even with race engines, whatever is in there will remain there as long as it isn't disturbed. I never have bearing problems with contamination (the other oilways are cleaned thoroughly) and I've enough engines that I've built (up to 24) without comebacks to convince me it's a proven approach.

Mick Richards 

If you want to just clean out those crank oilways (and those others in the block) try these- pipe cleaners- about 250mm long from The Range at £1.00 per pack. You can double them up, swap directions to make sure everything is as clean as you can get it and the wire is thin enough to get into that tiny hole on the con rods. Just be careful to not leave anything behind!

They are surprisingly effective. And really jazzy colours to brighten up anyone's garage!

James

20200220_081428[1].jpg

On my TR6 I removed all of them. I had to drill some and use a tap to get them out. Maybe a 2 hr job.
I feel more confident I did, I’m the kind of guy that wants to know what’s inside. 
If you do not remove them you cannot clean all bores. If it was really needed I will never know, but that’s part of the game.

Just my 2 cents.

Waldi