Radiator re-core

Hi all

I couldn't resist overtaking and leaving an MGF behind in my rain spray while driving to work this morning, but as I parked at work I realised that some of that spray was steam from my leaky radiator, as nice blue coolant trickled onto the floor. ( That'll teach me not to feel smug ). :lol:

I have read lots of previous posts on radiator refurbishment, but ask for advice on which type of core to have fitted to my spare radiator for best results. I will, of course, omit the starter hole. I have seen reference made to 3-row inline, 4-row, 5-row etc........I'm confused.

I use my car all year round, sun, rain or snow, and it suffers from the usual niggle of getting hot in traffic.

Les.

Les

Check out my previous posting on 'What Fan'.

I had what is called a 'Q Core' fitted.

The tubes are a different shape to normal but are supposed to produce approx 30% improved heat rejection.

Cost a bit more but seems to work very well although we've hardly had the weather to test it properly!

Unc :)

Hi Les,

The chassis is looking good, when is the rebuild going to start? When you have got your rad sorted out, this is just a thought, a friend of ours sprints & hillclimbs a Hillman Imp. He swears by Radiator Relief by Agriemach Ltd. This aparently is more than the so called 'water wetters', it should be it's a darned site more expensive! They have got a web site and it's worth a look. TS952 is slowly clocking up the miles and so far so good. I use her whenever I can, rain or shine.

All the best, Nigel

Les - I had my radiator re-cored after 85,000 miles from new. It is 5 row and has the hole for the hand crank. My Kenlowe 12" pusher keeps it cool in stop and go traffic. Otherwise it's fine. It is the same as it was 15 years ago when I put it in (another 85,000 miles since then). Someone told me that the 5-row sounds like it would be better but it restricts the air flow and it can get the engine hotter sooner. Go figure ?

Don Elliott, Montreal

Thanks to you all for the replies. Due to the fact that my TR2 is my everyday transport and commutes 50 miles each day, I decided to get a replacement radiator "off the shelf ". I rang several TR parts suppliers only to find that all could order one in, but few had one available. My local supplier, Abingdon, had one but with the starter hole, others could get mine recored " in a couple of weeks or so ", but only one had a radiator, well two actually, in stock and with the original specifiction core but without the hole, Revington, so on my next day off work, next Wednesday, I shall be collecting the rad from their premises. Wish I could go in the TR, can't carry the rad on the bike, too far to go in the old Landrover without ending up in traction, so its on with the disguise and borrow my wifes Micra. :(

Les

Les

Colchester Radiators offered to turn my recore round overnight and do express deliveries.

Check them out 01206-799559

Unc :)

Don't rush into this. The best cooling modificatio I have made in over 40 years is a new dariator core from Southern Radiators in Chichester. They offered an upgrade for £170 and nothing has caused any excess heat since this was fitted three years ago. A kenlowe blows from the front but never comes on nowadays.

They also delivered the new radiator.

Yours

Richard

I collected the radiator from Revington TR on Wednesday, after driving around the village searching for their premises for a while. Finally a glimpse of a TR4 through a gateway showed me the way. Fitted it yesterday, Thursday, and left it running at a fast tickover for over 30 minutes with no problems. With my old radiator it would have boiled up and blown all the water out in much less time than that. Went to work in it today and was pleased to see that the engine now runs much cooler, maybe too cool. The gauge needle settled on the mark between the 90 and 185, which I reckon is about 135F. I may pop in a new thermostat to try to bring the temperature up a bit nearer the 185 mark !!!!!!!!!!!! What am I saying........trying to get a sidescreen car to run hotter ?????? :P

PS

Went in my wifes '95 Micra 1 litre, 300 miles at around 70 mph. Used 30 litres of petrol ( 50 mpg ) and could even listen to Wogan. What a machine !!!!!!! :D

Edited by Les
Hi Les, some very nice machines there. Don't like to disappoint you, but 300 miles to 30 litres is 45.5 mpg!

Of course, you're right Jonlar. I come from an era when one gallon cans were being replaced with five litre ones, and still use 5litres per gallon as a quick conversion, much easier than 4.546 l/g, only later did they reduce the capacity to 4.5 litres but the price probably stayed the same ! :angry: