bumper dome shaped washer

Reassembling the bumpers and i have 2 pairs of dome-shaped washers. Don't know how to fit them and more importantly, fail to understand their purpose ?

Any lead ?

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-20 at 15.25.21.jpeg

That won't work because the non-threaded base of the chrome bolt is wider than the hole in the washer so the bumper will waggle unless one fits a soft packing piece between the bumper and the domed washer. Am i missing something ? If anyone has pic of the correct assembly that would be useful.

Edited by Geko
Add

BD.jpg

(11) bolt,   (10) packing piece (cupped washer),   (2) bumper iron,   (12) plain washer,   (13) Spring washer (lock washer),  (14) plain nut 

Same arrangement at the rear items (30) - (34).  

Personally I'd probably fit a rubber block / washer between the (10) the packing piece and (2) bumper iron. 

I'd also apply Copperslip under the domed bolt head and around its plain shank and under that packing piece, to minimize rust spots in those crevices.

Edited by Bfg

Item 134 here is your domed packing washer   It is important to fit unless you want the bumper mounting iron to crease the back of the bumper when the nut on the domed chrome bolt is tightened.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/body-fittings/front-side-body-fittings-grille-bumper-tr4-4a.html#134

Order for free and get yourself a printed copy of the Moss Europe catalogue.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, Geko said:

That won't work because the non-threaded base of the chrome bolt is wider than the hole in the washer so the bumper will waggle unless one fits a soft packing piece between the bumper and the domed washer. Am i missing something ? If anyone has pic of the correct assembly that would be useful.

Hi Stef,

something is not quite right. The chrome plated bolt should easily fit into the domed washer.

If all else fails simply open up the hole in the washer.

Roger

3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stef,

something is not quite right. The chrome plated bolt should easily fit into the domed washer.

If all else fails simply open up the hole in the washer.

Roger

Neither of them do and they are pretty original me thinks 

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-20 at 17.28.20.jpeg

Hi Stef,

something odd there.

The domed washer definitely goes between the bumper and bumper iron.

The bolt should go through the washer - but it doesn't.   Did the washer and or bolts come from your car ???

Open the hole up.  You could open it as an elongated hole.

Roger

On with the step drill bit. Tks all 

Edit: Call me anal but I wasn't fully satisfied with the explanation so I had a look a the Bastuck catalogue which mentions a rubber packing piece (R28SPT)  between the bumper and the domed washer. It has multiple applications (TR4-6, Spit and GT6) so my question was probably not totally irrelevant and my case not unique.

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 6.26.43 PM.png

Edited by Geko
add
5 hours ago, Bfg said:

I'd also apply Copperslip under the domed bolt head and around its plain shank and under that packing piece, to minimize rust spots in those crevices.

Waxoyl or similar will do a better job than Copperslip.

Pete