SPAX Adjustments

Just read all the posts on KONI adjustments and viewed with interest.

How about SPAX shocks, I have them ALL ROUND, and havn`t a clue on where they should be set or if they have the same problems ie they seem to just have a screw  that looks like its adjustible?

Regards, Colin. 

Spax are dead easy to adjust, the little screw at the bottom.

New ones have a greater range of adjustment than the previous set I fitted 25 years ago, or at least there are more clicks than on the old ones.

I reckon start at the softest setting, then try half way. If your teeth are shaking out you have gone too hard! click them up and down until you find a setting you are happy with.

Standard springs need a softer setting than uprated ones as the stiffer springs work over a smaller range. The biggest problem I found with the uprated springs was that there comes a point where chassis flex is more than suspension movement and this is not a good thing.

I also found that with 195x65 15 tyres fitted the sidewalls gave noticeable un-damped bounce compared to when 195x60 15 were fitted, but at the cost of even more loose tooth fillings!

Best thing I ever did was fit a set of progressive rate springs which have transformed the ride quality without spoiling the handling. Maybe I am getting old, but long journeys in the TR with its previous rock hard suspension were getting less enjoyable and I prefered using my Stag (which also has progressive rate springs and uprated shocks fitted).

The TR now has a much smoother ride and there is far less rattling and banging from the body shell when used on my local appalling road surfaces.

Neil

Colin,

I have my SPAX on 4 clicks at the front and 6 clicks on the back and that is with the hardtop fitted, standard springs and 195 x 65 tyres. When the hardtop comes off after the Germany trip it will be 4 / 5 clicks on the back.  It rides very well on these settings.

cheers

Derek

I have spax fitted 4 clicks front and back with 185/65/15 fitted on wires smooth ride IMHO. 

I must have old stock then as I replaced mine 4 years ago and they have 14 effective clicks front and rear. They came from Moss and are the krypton gas version and as I noted above 4 clicks front and 6 on the rear give a good ride with standard springs.

OK Chaps thanks for all the replies. My SPAX were fitted 19 years ago so don know what I have or where they have been set or how many clicks if have for adjustment? I haven`t done that many miles so no concern  of them wearing out.

Can someone tell me how I check how many clicks there are from fully soft to fully hard so that I can then set them at approx half setting as you have all indicated? Do I do this with the full weight of the car on the ground or with the car jacked up with the suspension/wheels in the air?

Cheers, Colin.

12 hours ago, ntc said:

Load or no load makes no difference.WARNING you must turn clockwise first to the stop then count backwards do not force near the end or you will loose fluid BDQ watch your eyes.

Like Clarkey did on the IOW trip!

Stuart.