pedal box seal to body bulkhead

Good day, Hope someone can clarify.

Re fit of pedal box to RH drive following conversion from LH. Cut the required slots for pedals into engine compartment etc. All fitted OK but there are gaps along sides of the pedals where they come thorugh the bulkhead. Means that the engine compartment does not seal from the body. 

See photo. you can see through small gaps into the footwell.

Is this correct ?? Cannot see anything on the Moss or Rimmer catalogues to show any sealing mechanism. I recall my MBGs had a pedal box cover to fulfil this purpose.

Any advice please.

David B.  Note cannot load photos. 

Hi David,

regarding the photo.

Make sure it is apprx 100Kb and loaded on your computer.

At the bottom left corner of the reply box  click on 'choose files' 

Double click on your photo title

it should now be displayed in the text.

Roger

There was no factory made cover - Yes a nicely made cover would stop fumes from the engine bay passing to the cabin through the slots where the pedal pass. - Think about the brake light switch if you do decide to make one.  and please upload any drawings/photos if you do.

It was not until RHD TR5 that there was an effort to seal the pedal through bulkhead open slots.  The brakes was easy on the later cars as the mc mounted to a servo that bolted to the bulhead. (self sealing)  The clutch mc still had a pedal end coming up through the bulkead so a gaiter was fitted. (RHD TR5-6 cars only - but this gaiter was also used on other Triumph cars of that era like Spit and GT6.)

Maybe you could diddle around and fit a couple of them.....they seem to always come free at the base - no doubt a nicely engineered retainer would fix that. Again the brake light switch actuation will be an issue to resolve.

Item 125217 master cylinder to pedal gaiter   https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=&q=125217

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thin rubber sheet mounted before you fit the master cylinder bracket with slits where the pedals go up through works well, its a bit of a fiddle as the pedals have a crank on the end. Dont forget the the pedal set mounting box should be sealed all the way round on the flange where it bolts up to the bulkhead top so your not going to get fumes through.

Stuart.

Hello all, thanks for the responses.

Peter W, So at least I am clear that this is how it was designed to be but responses from Roger and Stuart confirm it's not seen to be quite right and retro solutions have been carried out. 

Looking at the Moss photos of the TR5 gaitor (underside) show it has a different shape to the TR4 slots in the bulkhead so will use the Stuart thin rubber sheet solution and see how that performs and lasts. 

Roger,  Photo upload. I believed it when it says that max file size should be 4.39MB. Have resized file as suggested to 51KB and it now loads. Thanks. Will see how it looks like on the forum. 

Thanks all,

David B

IMG_1205.JPG

Hi, I've got this area in bits at the moment (stripping all the paint from the engine bay {the most horrible job!!}, prior to my full respray,     it looks to me as though part of the pedal bracket is missing, ... part No. 39 on the Moss website (106667),   ..... there should be 2 of them either end of the pedal pivot and held in place by the 4 bolts, fixed to item 26, that pass through the bulkhead .

cheers Rob

Rob, the brackets , 106678, item 39, are the two pivot brackets fitted underside of the pedal assembly inside the footwell and thus not shown on photo. They are definitely fitted but do not form a full seal. All the best for stripping all the paint away. Horrible job.

David B

Hi David, similar cover to Rogers enhances the appearance of engine bay and prevents ingress of fumes. 

Chris

agreed val eng_crop_201x165.JPG