Accelerator shaft bulkhead bush

I have replaced the bush on the pedal support. Mos part 058282. I used a plumbing grease for pipes and rubber seals. It seems to have dried out in a few days. 

What would be the best long term lubrication. I have copa-slip. Please help because it takes me a very long time to loosen all the screws and bolts to get access to the bush. I only want to do it once more.

Thanks

Richard 

Hi Richard,

I've just had a 180 degree thought about this.

If the spherical bush is nylon and the bush on the shaft is bronze or similar then you should not need a lubricant as they are both self lubricating.

Any grease will hold muck/grit which may cause more harm than good.

Roger

Hi,

I bought the bush from Moss and they have confirmed that it is Nylon. The lever end which fits inside the bush is regular steel.and was a bit rusty until I cleaned it a bit.  I used Black Swan silicon grease for rubber and plastics. Maybe it is only for one off  fixing  plumbing pipes and not for long term lubrication.

I checked my  tin and it is Copper Ease, so Stuart was right with the name. I also have Marley silicon lubrication.

I do not want to have to drive out the pin and start again so I was hoping for some lubrication that I could use while it is fully assembled. 

Thanks Richard

After some more investigation into my tick over, and the bush lubrication, I decided to change the spring which pulls the lever on the shaft. It was disconnected at one end any way so the lever was relying on the carb springs for close down.

I bought a new one. from TR shop, which was 1/2" shorter. I tried to fit it for a whole afternoon as drawn in the Moss catalogue. Then I went back in the house. The spring has a round hook at one end and a squared off hook at the other.  The squared end had an angle on the last 1/8" which stuck out curiously.  I could fit the round hook on to the body but the square hook was hard. I managed to pull it upwards with long nose pliers and as it slides down the internal face of the lever the angled end locates in the hole. While it is there I could push the spring body over at an angle and the square hook slipped in easily. A three week effort to combat irregular tick over.

So often when the Standard Triumph engineers were designing my car ,it appears that they never had to fit the part they were working on. I find it difficult to tighten the rear bolt on the Dynamo mounting for example.

But here our ST  team gave the spring design to someone who understood what was required and designed a special squared off end to allow fitting with the car assembled. I an very grateful to the spring designer. It is a sunny day so we are off on a road test at lunchtime.

6 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

After some more investigation into my tick over, and the bush lubrication, I decided to change the spring which pulls the lever on the shaft. It was disconnected at one end any way so the lever was relying on the carb springs for close down.

I bought a new one. from TR shop, which was 1/2" shorter. I tried to fit it for a whole afternoon as drawn in the Moss catalogue. Then I went back in the house. The spring has a round hook at one end and a squared off hook at the other.  The squared end had an angle on the last 1/8" which stuck out curiously.  I could fit the round hook on to the body but the square hook was hard. I managed to pull it upwards with long nose pliers and as it slides down the internal face of the lever the angled end locates in the hole. While it is there I could push the spring body over at an angle and the square hook slipped in easily. A three week effort to combat irregular tick over.

So often when the Standard Triumph engineers were designing my car ,it appears that they never had to fit the part they were working on. I find it difficult to tighten the rear bolt on the Dynamo mounting for example.

But here our ST  team gave the spring design to someone who understood what was required and designed a special squared off end to allow fitting with the car assembled. I an very grateful to the spring designer. It is a sunny day so we are off on a road test at lunchtime.

That square ended spring (027645)  is also used for the clutch and brake pedal returns.

Peter W