Been looking to purchase an air chisel, but I notice that some are listed as having 'medium' or 'long' stroke can anybody advise what would be best for panel removal

Hi Graham what exactly do you need it for as they can do Fair Damage in the wrong hands.

I have to unpick some poor welded repairs was planning to grind as much off the weld off as possible and the use the air chisel to separate what remains but possibly from what you are saying might be a bit to much tool!

One word...........DONT!

You would be much better off drilling the spot welds out properly with a dedicated spot weld drill like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scratch-Doctor-Spot-Weld-Drill-Bit-Repair-Remover-Tool-Cutter-Cobal-Tip-8mm-2pc/361201195793?epid=1173177995&hash=item541944db11:g:TvwAAOSw1vlUyiC6

As Niall says you can do a lot of damage with using an air chisel, even bodyshops dont use them now except in an emergency.

Stuart.

One word...........DONT!

You would be much better off drilling the spot welds out properly with a dedicated spot weld drill like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scratch-Doctor-Spot-Weld-Drill-Bit-Repair-Remover-Tool-Cutter-Cobal-Tip-8mm-2pc/361201195793?epid=1173177995&hash=item541944db11:g:TvwAAOSw1vlUyiC6

As Niall says you can do a lot of damage with using an air chisel, even bodyshops dont use them now except in an emergency.

Stuart.

Ok will forgo the air chisel then ! its not spot welds I have to deal with though at some point somebody has 'repaired' the inner rear wing to rear inner wheel arch flange by hacking of the (rusted ?) flange on the wheel arch and then re attaching it to the inner wheel arch with a series of 40mm long right angle patches rather that a continuous strip thats been run through a stretcher. TBH getting ahead of myself because before sorting out the arches there is the small matter of the bottom of the A and B posts being in the 'wrong' place and a sill to sort out ......you've seen the photo's ! but don't think I'll be attempting that job myself.

I used the spot weld drills. On mine there was lots of rust inside the chassis where the 4A narrows under the 'breastplate'. replaced all of the re-inforcing plates that run from top to bottom of the chassis in that area.

post-3863-0-84947400-1536388817_thumb.jpg

Edited by littlejim
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.