Would you believe it...

I have spent the last two days trying to stop some annoying squeaks on my TR3 front suspension and whilst I was there installed new discs and pads as one disc had excessive run-out. Job all finished and the wheel bearings adjusted, so I thought I would nip round my favourite test circuit of about 5 miles of mixed roads to bed the brakes in and to see if the squeaks are still there. On the return, half a mile from home, and the car stops dead at the exit of a roundabout to large industrial estate. I am now causing a good traffic jam as the lorries can only pass one at a time.

Where are all my tools and multi-meter? On the garage floor, of course.

I set out to diagnose the issue and soon realise there was no spark. I have plenty of spares in the spare wheel holder but no tools! The one item I can test is the coil, so I sit the spare coil close to the original and swap the connectors and vroom vroom, she starts instantaneously. I have just proven that the coil does not need an earth to work as it was dangling by the wires. I then drove home carefully and only realised once I got home that I had forgotten to put the spare wheel cover back on, it contains the number plate, ooops.

Coil now installed properly and the engine works fine.

Unfortunately, the squeak is still there......

Mick

A fine example of Sod's Law in operation there Mick.

( Incidentally the can of a coil doesn't need to be earthed for it to operate, the only electrical connections are the two LT terminals and the HT lead. )

I have spent the last two days trying to stop some annoying squeaks on my TR3 front suspension and whilst I was there installed new discs and pads as one disc had excessive run-out. Job all finished and the wheel bearings adjusted, so I thought I would nip round my favourite test circuit of about 5 miles of mixed roads to bed the brakes in and to see if the squeaks are still there. On the return, half a mile from home, and the car stops dead at the exit of a roundabout to large industrial estate. I am now causing a good traffic jam as the lorries can only pass one at a time.

Where are all my tools and multi-meter? On the garage floor, of course.

I set out to diagnose the issue and soon realise there was no spark. I have plenty of spares in the spare wheel holder but no tools! The one item I can test is the coil, so I sit the spare coil close to the original and swap the connectors and vroom vroom, she starts instantaneously. I have just proven that the coil does not need an earth to work as it was dangling by the wires. I then drove home carefully and only realised once I got home that I had forgotten to put the spare wheel cover back on, it contains the number plate, ooops.

Coil now installed properly and the engine works fine.

Unfortunately, the squeak is still there......

Mick

The worst squeak on my 3a is the spring loaded bonnet opener thingie bloody annoying

Cheers

Alan