Dear all

Now here I am showing my novice skills on mechanics.

I have had some gear/clutch issues. It starting by crunching to get into reverse, then progressed to essentially uncomfortable driving when depressing the clutch so far down and also engaging gears not so easily.

I have an 'old bloke mechanic' doing a good service Monday but yesterday when peeking around in the foot-well, where the rod from the clutch pedal goes into the body I spotted oil. When poked with finger there was oil on my finger.

So is there a link here and I guess there should not be oil there?! Any advice, should I order a new something or shall I leave to the mechanic this Monday . .

Thanks

Rich in Denmark

Hi Rich

Oil - or fluid from the clutch cylinder? If it is brake/hydraulic fluid you have your suspect.

Easy job

Good luck

Ian

Oh . . and in anticipation, for Mondays service and garage job, should I order something as we have a great small dealer here who can likely get this to me for Monday/Tuesday.

Rich

Rich

Check the clutch fluid level, it sounds like the master cylinder is leaking. If the level is down you will need a seal kit at least but probably a new cylinder is required.

For the minimal amount of work involved and the low cost of the bits I would replace the slave cylinder and the flexible hose at the same time so that its job done for the next 100 thousand miles.

George

Hi cvtrain

Sorry to be thick but where does brake oil come into it?

Rich

Hi Rich

Oil is used in the engine.

Hydraulic fluid is used in the clutch and braking systems - commonly called "brake fluid" in both systems.

No such thing as brake oil.

Hope that clears up any confusion

Regards

Ian

Hello Rich, under the bonnet on the drivers side, you will see two 'cylinders'. These are the brake and clutch master cylinders. The brake cylinder is the large diameter one. You should unscrew the lids and check that both have plenty of hydraulic oil (also called 'brake fluids) in them. We suspect that the level of oil in the clutch cylinder is low, as a result of a leak. This will mean reduced movement of the clutch slave cylinder, causing difficulties engaging gears. You will find the slave cylinder on the left hand side of the engine. The advice given to change all 3 components (master cylinder, slave cylinder and flexible tube that connects the two) is good. Unfortunately, there has been incidents of quality problems with after-market components. You really should make a habit of checking oil levels very frequently. I check mine every time I use the car. http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ClutchHydraulics/Clutch_Hydraulics.htmgives you a good description of the clutch hydraulics.

Let us know how you get on.

Austin

Great feedback

I have checked hydraulic oil levels and they seem OK - but I guess if it leaks at master cylinder then that means the pressure is low I guess. I will call the classic car guy and order whole new unit

Rich

Hi Rich

if the clutch master cylinder is leaking, it looks like you have a choice, there are more here:-

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=8981&q=clutch+master+cylinder

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-154932?scid=scplp154932&sc_intid=154932&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrLXXBRCXARIsAIttmRP5rNHUqhVYD1CpfWCD3fL--ols0B54PzlmCAI2F0skWfxMueBoC1waAk52EALw_wcB

I'm not sure which year or model of TR6 your car is, or which may be the best option for you. However if you can find a local company that can refurbish your own unit, it may be a better option. As Austin says, some of the replacements are better than others........

Ian

Edited by cvtrian

I switched everything to silicon fluid 20 years ago and never looked back....

Yes there are many different types of fluid available

BUT

You cannot mix different types of fluid, so if a master cylinder change is needed, you must top up with the same type of fluid currently used.

So is this it?? Its in Danish but that does not matter...

https://www.classic-center.dk/pi/Hovedkoblingscylinder-TR6-venstrestyret-_5111762_143354.aspx

Rich

Yes but do check the push rod length is the same as your original, if not then swap for original.

Stuart.

Rich,

Life is full of choices:

I had my clutch cylinders (2 off) and brake master cylinder reconditioned in the UK (i live on the mainland too).

I did not want new items because of all the horror stories on here.

Yes, it was expensive, but now my cylinders have SS liners and original but new internals.

Company name: Past Parts.

No connections etc.

Waldi

Hello Rich, that looks like the correct part.

As an aside, if the hydraulic level of fluid is good, then you have a more difficult problem. You probably should change all three components in order to be certain that the problem is addressed.

I don't know the value of Danish currency, but 375 looks a lot!

Austin

Hello Rich, that looks like the correct part.

As an aside, if the hydraulic level of fluid is good, then you have a more difficult problem. You probably should change all three components in order to be certain that the problem is addressed.

I don't know the value of Danish currency, but 375 looks a lot!

Austin

Well pre Brexit it was 10.3 per Krone to pound . . now its 8 !!