J type overdrive going slow

Hi all,

Took the car to the RR today for a tune up of the webers and noticed the overdrive struggled to engage sometimes not at all ,using a gear knob switch. not picking the car up until tomorrow, any ideas what's best to check first, oil was ok when I checked it Monday.

Nick

how thick is your oil. On these very cold days EP90 etc could well be slow to function properly.

Roger

I agree Rodger

My J type is quite a bit slower for the first few miles if the weather's cold, I also found that cleaning the filter for some obscure reason makes things run a bit quicker.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Took the car to the RR today for a tune up of the webers and noticed the overdrive struggled to engage sometimes not at all ,using a gear knob switch. not picking the car up until tomorrow, any ideas what's best to check first, oil was ok when I checked it Monday.

Nick

The ground on the solenoid is always suspect. It is a small wire that goes from the transmission to the solenoid spade lug. When that gets old enough, the engagement becomes dodgy as the wire frays, flexes, and gets covered in grime. After mine packed it in, I replaced the wire with a heavier gauge wire, with end terminals crimped, soldered, and covered in heat shrink tubing. Never had another problem.

Vance