Cars (TR's included) only do not sell because of 3 main reasons:

1. They are over-priced

2. They are poor condition or poorly restored

3. They are over-priced and poor condition.

this debate could go on all day, I have my opinion and every one else has theirs, I don't think we will ever agree.

my car is not being compared to other cars like for like, weather people agree or not is almost as irrelevant as how much its worth.

a member on here recently sold (I know coz I went to see it) a 1972 TR6 (basically the same car as mine) but it was rotten, needed new doors/wings/sills/roof/dash/carpets the list could go on, the engine was turning over but it was rough. he got over 12k for it. how can mine be worth 15k on this basis?

A 1 OFF. I hear you say, really, what about the 30k car that went through a classic car auction in Sept last year, or the 2 x 24k cars that sold at later auctions.

that's 4 cars that I know of personally that have brought massive money for what they were (save the 30K which was a special car)

so 3 cars in 3 months, all 1 offs yeh? the cheapest on Autotrader is over 21k, the only sub 20k cars I can find are old restorations

I'm not far away from Leominster, so Brightwell's classic car auction is a must for me on the pre-view day. If you look at their www you'll find that they list all their previous sales results with the cars in alphabetical order. It is very easy to get a true picture of what they actually are worth in the market. I can't recall one going for £20k but do recall many recent sold prices around £12k........

I'd like to think my 4 owner 96k mile 1991 unmodified 944T is worth £12k to £15k but when you see the 944T sold in last week's modern classic for £7.2k............ Then of course there are the commission fees to add and deduct for the buyer and seller...........

Regards

Bill

The post-resto shots do give a better impression of the bodywork, a worthwhile improvement in presentation.

Underside doesn't show any more rust than one might expect, and it's still at the stage where it can be tackled fairly effectively. The usual decaying rubbers on the tie rod ends and a/r bar links, which implies all the rubber is ageing as the stuff of recent years tends to do so rapidly, a good excuse for a new owner to polybush the car !

To be fair, if I was paying £20K+ for a private sale TR6 I wouldn't be expecting to have to repaint the underside as a priority, nor expecting to have tackle a significant rubber replacement exercise, which kind of puts a ceiling on the price. But then a proper body-off restoration isn't going to come in at under the twenty resale, whether it's a recent resto or one of quite some years ago that has been well maintained and clocked up limited miles.

Cheers,

Alec

The post-resto shots do give a better impression of the bodywork, a worthwhile improvement in presentation.

Underside doesn't show any more rust than one might expect, and it's still at the stage where it can be tackled fairly effectively. The usual decaying rubbers on the tie rod ends and a/r bar links, which implies all the rubber is ageing as the stuff of recent years tends to do so rapidly, a good excuse for a new owner to polybush the car !

To be fair, if I was paying £20K+ for a private sale TR6 I wouldn't be expecting to have to repaint the underside as a priority, nor expecting to have tackle a significant rubber replacement exercise, which kind of puts a ceiling on the price. But then a proper body-off restoration isn't going to come in at under the twenty resale, whether it's a recent resto or one of quite some years ago that has been well maintained and clocked up limited miles.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec. Thanks for your helpful and thought input.

I haven't spoke to the mechanic about the ageing bushes but will go as far to say that if there still on the car then they had life left in them.

I had a good chat with the mechanic today.

I was talking about some of the negative comments I have had about the car and some people opinions.

He said you always get people who look for problems and reasons not to buy. He believes when someone sees the car and drives it, they will buy it.

One of the most irritating comments I've had is about the panel gaps and shut lines. It really winds me up. Id love to know what they expect them to look like.

I'm no expert but they look bloody good to me.

My Mechanic (in the industry for 40 years) has worked on and driven lots of TR6's and he says this is one the best he has seen and the best he has ever driven.

Someone is going to get a a descent solid car for not a lot a of money.

Edited by Petrol-Head

Agreed, how it drives matters a great deal - I've inspected plenty of TRs that looked beautiful and yet drove like a bag of nails. What's the point in a thing of beauty that has unsatisfactory functionality, for heaven's sake ? It's a car, for driving . . . . OK, to the 'investment' fraternity maybe it's only for gentle exercise on dry summer days . . . .

Modern rubber doesn't last, sadly - I shouldn't worry about it. The next owner's task to polybush the car !

I'd rather have something that looked like a dog and went like a bandit . . . . our old 7V8 for example, sound as a bell under the cosmetic limitations, and could cheerfully match 5 litres of supercharged Jag in a straight line until well over the ton.

Cheers

Alec

I wouldn't worry too much about panel gaps - you should see the state of the TR6 cars I've seen at the NEC Birmingham classic car shows over the past few years! Doors that just don't seem to fit anywhere except at the top edge and line up only down the front wing and it applied to all of them! Not a decent one anywhere believe it or not - bottom of door sticking out. The panels can be lined up as my TR6 has been done perfect on a Carolina jig with everything removed and back on with best possible lines - Kevin who did the work hated it and didn't want to see the car ever again lol he does have OCD about getting it right though which is why I had him do the work! In summary my car will now embarrass any TR6 at the NEC but there's a cost and was it worth it - to me it was but it's my car and I want it the way I want it not how a collector might

Agreed, how it drives matters a great deal - I've inspected plenty of TRs that looked beautiful and yet drove like a bag of nails. What's the point in a thing of beauty that has unsatisfactory functionality, for heaven's sake ? It's a car, for driving . . . . OK, to the 'investment' fraternity maybe it's only for gentle exercise on dry summer days . . . .

Modern rubber doesn't last, sadly - I shouldn't worry about it. The next owner's task to polybush the car !

I'd rather have something that looked like a dog and went like a bandit . . . . our old 7V8 for example, sound as a bell under the cosmetic limitations, and could cheerfully match 5 litres of supercharged Jag in a straight line until well over the ton.

Cheers

Alec

That 7V8 sounds very impressive.

It did go well . . . . . . 3.5 litre of mysterious innards (ex-SD1 racer), c 200rwhp.

We sold it to a chap who intended sprinting and hillclimbing the car, sadly that hasn't happened, which is a shame. The MoT ran out summer 2015 so it's presumably just sitting . . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

It did go well . . . . . . 3.5 litre of mysterious innards (ex-SD1 racer), c 200rwhp.

We sold it to a chap who intended sprinting and hillclimbing the car, sadly that hasn't happened, which is a shame. The MoT ran out summer 2015 so it's presumably just sitting . . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

That is a shame

One of the most irritating comments I've had is about the panel gaps and shut lines. It really winds me up. Id love to know what they expect them to look like.

I'm no expert but they look bloody good to me.

Yes, they are fine - don't get hung up about panel gaps, people get too obsessed with perfection - they were never that good when they rolled off the production line........here's my unrestored 1970 TR6, Saffy:

27749846_10211408102973474_1608317961773

27544988_10211408110493662_5906791805284

27459349_10211408102853471_4855799684293

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers

Andrew

Yes, they are fine - don't get hung up about panel gaps, people get too obsessed with perfection - they were never that good when they rolled off the production line........here's my unrestored 1970 TR6, Saffy:

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers

Andrew

wow Saffy looks wonderful.

thanks for your comments

Edited by Petrol-Head