Moisture in the oil pan?

May have dodged the bullet. I calibrated the Refractometer with pure Evans Waterless at 57. Tested out of the radiator and read 57 on the nose. But when I scrapped a couple of drops off the crank, I got 37. So definitely water in the mix, so probably just condensation. Happy Dance. May buy some cheap oil, a new filter, some SeaFoam, run it and give it a good rinse before putting in the good oil or just run the hell out of it once I get her all up and running to try and burn it all off.

Don

Edited by F1loco

https://seafoamsales.com/

It's here, I'm not sure why using it would benefit especially in this case, petrol cleans pretty effectively.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

More snake oil Roger.

Pete

:P Not really. I've used in a lot in my boats in the off season. Keeps the moisture down and stabilizes the fuel. I could always go old school - run diesel in the crank for about 30-45 seconds at idle and drain. That should clean up the goop. :o

Don

Water and antifreeze does emulsify but of course there are degrees of emulsification and it will separate again to a degree when it goes cold, but with the waterless...don't know. Err...did you drop any big and main bearings to check condition and how did the head retorque go ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Not sure what would be the case with Evans Waterless leaking - water + oil, emulsified and likely goop everywhere - crank, sump, etc.. Evans Waterless + oil = probably not good either. Lots of condensation moisture it appears on mine. Got to get her cleaned up and run her hard for a spell to boil any moisture out of the system. Couldn't do that if Evans in the oil, as the boiling temp issues and likely kill the motor in the process if you could.

Not sure what would be the case with Evans Waterless leaking - water + oil, emulsified and likely goop everywhere - crank, sump, etc.. Evans Waterless + oil = probably not good either. Lots of condensation moisture it appears on mine. Got to get her cleaned up and run her hard for a spell to boil any moisture out of the system. Couldn't do that if Evans in the oil, as the boiling temp issues and likely kill the motor in the process if you could.

Which gives good reason to check the bearings big end and mains before going further in case they are damaged, don't forget the head retorque, it may just reseal the FO8 if that is the problem. As said UNDO the nuts 1 flat first ( in torquing order as per the manual) to stop the nuts sticking, and then swing the nuts back up to 105 lb ft, don't be surprised if they go further than they were before you backed them off.

Mick Rixchards