Soft top predicament

Hi All.

Now that I have restored the windscreen frame to the correct angle (it was 3 degrees out) the soft top doesn't come forward far enough to latch into place. I expected this would be the case and suspect this is another reason the PO sold the car as the covering is brand new.

Before I race off down to my local upholsterer I'd be interested to hear your views on what might be the best approach to this particular problem. Unfortunately where the vinyl is wrapped around the front edge of the frame it has been cut lengthways to match the curves at each end, so there is no way this surplus material can be utilised.

My thinking at this stage is to have a filler strip added at the very front. Perhaps someone has a better idea?

Regards

Gavin

NZ

post-14246-0-37598200-1510474067_thumb.jpg

+ 1 for Roger's comment. To me it looks almost there.

Trimmers Trick...

Roll up the windows, put an electric fan heater inside the car with the roof as closed as you can get it, switch on fan heater, go make a cup of tea. When you get back the vinyl will be nice and boggy ready for latching.

Q If you loosen the frame attaching screws on the inner rear quarters will it then all drop down/forward to assist in latching?

The trimmer I suspect will do these things then unrivet the seal channel from the header, unglue the fabric and refit by stretching to get an easier fit.

Peter W

By the looks of it i suspect Peter is right with a good warm up it would go. Its always difficult with the 5/6 type latches as you end up damaging the capping by dragging it into place but if you can get it there then leave the heat going on it for a few hours after and leave the hood up for a day or two after. You would be surprised how far the vinyl will stretch.My old hood I used to have on my 4a was like a trampoline tight but 4 hrs at motorway speeds and you would be surprised at how slack it was after the usual ballooning effect of those speeds.

Stuart.

Thanks everyone for what appeares to be a concensus on this one and Peter especially for the fan heater suggestion. I'll be giving this a go in the next few days.

Very glad I asked the question - just goes to show how valuable this forum can be to TR owners regardles of where they live :):)

Thanks again everyone.

Gavin

NZ