Rear main oil seal

My car has developed an oil leak from the rear main seal.It is now at the point where it is marginally acceptable.Is there any means by which it can be cured other than taking engine out and dismantling same to fit a new seal.Also what is current opinion on best seal to fit.I know this is an old issue but am interested in any new fixes.

Hi Tom,

the original scroll seal works if set up well

You could fit the LR lip seal but you need to machine the scroll away to apprx 40mm or so. Engine out

You could fit the Christian Marx lip seal - I have this and it is very good. Engine out.

Or you could do the Australian mod and fit two O rings between the s croll seal flange and the crank/flywheel attachment - I think it can be fitted insitu.

If your engine has higher than normal crankcase pressure (piston blow by) then most seals will leak.

Roger

Hi Tom,

you would need to remove the flywheel. Otherwise it does look as if the engine can stay insitu.

I think you would need to be careful about the flywheel bolts sticking through

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I was just reading Rogers post on the rear seal by Mad Marx, now to me this looks a proper job ,I wish this had been available when I had my engine out 50 years ago, when I bought the car it was quite low mileage, but it had suffered a broken crank shaft ( not uncommon ) and the rear main seal had not been correctly fitted, thus the leaking rear main, I wonder how many broken crankshafts were caused by the incorrect use of the overdrive, and the sudden reduction in engine revs , just a thought , cheers len

Close to 4000 miles on madmarx oil seal still no leaks, wish I could say the same for the rebuilt overdrive gearbox :D

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog