My ammeter is Open circuit, see pic.

Is this just a copper wire, that I can solder a new one across the bridge, or something more Complex?

Help appreciated.

post-4234-0-76759800-1501181169_thumb.jpg

Edited by pfenlon

My ammeter is Open circuit, see pic.

Is this just a copper wire, that I can solder a new one across the bridge, or something more Complex?

Help appreciated.

Which car ammeter?

I have a couple of spares if you get stuck.

Peter W

Which car ammeter?

I have a couple of spares if you get stuck.

Peter W

Thanks Peter W I have just found some twin and earth house wiring the copper cable is only 7thou narrower than 1/16" which will suffice I hope.

A grand offer though, my car is a TR6.

It might be advisable to make a small investigation into why it burnt out like that. There could be a dead short somewhere in the non fused circuitry.

Mike

Edited by MikeF

Try to get the loop of wire in the same place as before - if it is slightly further away from the moving iron it will under read, & vica versa.

As mentioned above do you know why it melted away ?

Bob.

I was given the Ammeter in good faith and have no redress against the supplier. It does seem to have suffered a dead short I agree.

Its like putting a nail in, in place of a fuse and looking for where the smoke is coming from.

Thats an old tip from my apprenticeship in the lift industry, the lift shafts were dark but when the smoke started you knew which floor the problem was.

Thanks Peter W I have just found some twin and earth house wiring the copper cable is only 7thou narrower than 1/16" which will suffice I hope.

A grand offer though, my car is a TR6.

Sorry, I failed. That was the one I just sold.

Do still have a NOS TR4/4A style 50-0-50 but with a black bezel.

Peter W

The ACTUAL original TR4/4A ammeter is 30 0 30 of course. 50 amps might be a shade optimistic for a C40 dynamo.

Tim

The ACTUAL original TR4/4A ammeter is 30 0 30 of course. 50 amps might be a shade optimistic for a C40 dynamo.

Tim

Not if it has a factory fit alternator.

Peter W