Hi guys,

Finally, seven years after buying the TR I have it on the road! My goal was to restore it on a budget, so I had to do everything myself, rebuild engine, box, brakes, rear diff., welding, painting and trim. I'm pretty happy with the result, I realize that a professional body guy would have done a better job, but at least I wont be scared of parking it in the wall-mart parking lot or take it on our gravel roads.

I started with an ( almost) rust free example that I bought for 3500 $, and I managed to keep it under 15,000$. I tried to keep as much of the original parts as possible to keep cost in control. Engine rebuilt was the cheapest to do, interior and side screens the most expensive.

I went non original for the gas tank as a new one was almost 500$, so I fitted a second hand spitfire one, maybe one day I'll replace that.

So my point....you can still enjoy TR motoring on a budget! Wonder if I can do the same with my AH 100/6?

post-11411-0-70601100-1497461919_thumb.jpg

Hi Menno,

First longer trip is going to be in the mountains, I'll make sure to post some pics! Still not to sure what to do when I ran into a bear with an open car......

Yves

Hello

Brilliant! A man with the same attitude as me.

I’m trying to do my build as cheap as possible just because, after being off the road for 40 odd years, I want to get it finished before I’m too old to drive it.

I’m pleased to hear that you used a Spitfire petrol tank. I’ve done exactly the same. A perfect second hand example cost me £10. It’s a perfect fit width and height wise, just needs a slight re-route of the petrol outlet pipe.

It may be down the scale on originality, but at least it’s on the road.

I intend to paint my car myself as well.

Not sure if I should use a 2 inch or a 4 inch brush though.

Charlie D

I remember painting a Triumph Herald using Hamerite (Dark blue in my case) in 1969.

I used a spray gun that attached to a vacuum cleaner output.

I remember friends giving me a push start once and remarking that the sandpaper like finish helped them grip the bodywork.

I’ve still got the vacuum cleaner and it still has tell tale signs of blue Hamerite on it.

Charlie D.

Hello

Brilliant! A man with the same attitude as me.

I’m trying to do my build as cheap as possible just because, after being off the road for 40 odd years, I want to get it finished before I’m too old to drive it.

I’m pleased to hear that you used a Spitfire petrol tank. I’ve done exactly the same. A perfect second hand example cost me £10. It’s a perfect fit width and height wise, just needs a slight re-route of the petrol outlet pipe.

It may be down the scale on originality, but at least it’s on the road.

I intend to paint my car myself as well.

Not sure if I should use a 2 inch or a 4 inch brush though.

Charlie D

Hi Charlie,

I used single stage paint and a good spray gun. After painting sand it down with 1200 grade and the polish the sh... out of it, looks really good. As for the originality and the spitfire gas tank....at least that is a conversion that you don't see. Fitting an alternator, electronic ignition, aluminum radiator or even comfortable seats are just as bad when it comes to keeping the car original, and most people out there have no issues with those.

Yves

My car has an alloy tank. That's originality out of the window too!

Just enjoy the car!

I admire the people with the determination to bring the car back to factory standard. My car is more a 21st century interpretation with different brakes, modern day electrics etc. I don't care. I enjoy driving it

My car has an alloy tank. That's originality out of the window too!

Just enjoy the car!

I admire the people with the determination to bring the car back to factory standard. My car is more a 21st century interpretation with different brakes, modern day electrics etc. I don't care. I enjoy driving it

I enjoy using as much original parts as possible, but i like to drive too :)

so alloy tank, new starter, 123 ignition (build in original housing of course...) alternator in classic housing,

but things like steering, brakes still original. still have to have the feeling of working hard in these cars..

Edited by EdwinTiben

Hi,

And that is exactly what the hobby should be about, enjoy the cars! Don't matter how you put it together or if you kept it original or not! Drive and enjoy!

Yves