Inertia switch - preferred location on 3A?

These usually want to be on a vertical surface and I would follow the TR6 example and put it on the firewall near the TR3 fuse box. The switches often have a manual feature so you can also use it to immobilize the car, sort of. The advantage of having it in the engine bay is that you can easily shut it off if you are doing work on the engine that needs the ignition turned on and you dont want the pump hammering away while you do it.

Stan

Miles

On my carburetored TR6 I used a Ford focus switch from a scrap yard, the switch is found in the drivers footwell behind the sidewall carpet. I cut the Ford loom to give a good lenght of wire and you also then have the correct plug for the switch.

On my TR6 I mounted the switch on the vertical face of the inner wing next to the fuse box and relays

George

Very sensible if electric fuel pumps are used, however bear in mind if the car has a bump coming off or going over a kerb for example and then the engine stops it's possible the inertia switch has been tripped.

So fitting the inertia switch in an easy to access position is good and remembering that you have such a switch fitted and that could be why the engines stopped is even better !

I raced with one and never tripped it in 8 years even after some off roading and kerb hopping antics so don't fear it will always be cutting off, it doesn't.

Mick Richards

Early Sierra ones used to be prone to being easily tripped and used to be a real problem until they were changed. Modern ones seem to be a better bet.

Stuart.

I fitted one of these when I built my track car https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/longacre-electric-fuel-pump-cut-off-switch-43600the wiring is a bit involved as you have to run in parallel with a relay to get the car started and it does rely on the engine stopping (stalling) but just a thought for you.

Mine is the Citroen / Peugeot / Rover / etc., version acquired from eBay some time ago and awaiting fitting. Just a bit surprised that they are not fitted somewhere discretely in the cabin so that they can be more easily re activated following a shunt.

Thanks for the input all though.

Miles