Starting a warm TR6 PI

On 10/23/2022 at 9:02 AM, astontr6 said:

Hi Alex!

I have owned my car from new and in my view has always been a bad starter when hot. I have found that if I leave the bonnet open when leaving the car for a few hours, like at a show. It will start straight away. Over the years of ownership, I have tried to work out what the problem is. I have never liked the coil being mounted on the side of the engine block as I believe it suffers from heat soak which in the end causes it to fail. I have had 3 in 40+ years. As an experiment I machined up a block of Tufnol and put this between the coil clamp and block to act as an insulator. The coil did become hot like it used to. I was surprised at the difference in hot starting. It did not fully cure it but made a noticeable difference. But I think, there are other causes like the injector leads too near the rocker cover. When I retubed my injectors, I increased the clearance from the rocker box cover as I believe that petrol in the injector tubes boils and then out gases and stops squirting as it should. One conclusion that I came to is the coil s/b mounted on the inner wing with air flow.

Bruce.

Sorry a Typo! it should read: 'The coil did not become hot like it used to?'

Bruce.

3 hours ago, Keith Warren said:

Before I converted to EFI I fitted a heat shield between the injector pipes and the rocker cover also one between the metering unit and the block with another one between starter motor and block and moved the coil to the inner wing it did improve starting hot and cold engine.

Keith

+1 on moving the coil to the inner wing.

My standard Lucas Pi (CP) is the total opposite to AlexB. It starts first time when hot or still warm, but is a devil to start when it hasn't been used for a month. I have to leave the starter motor engaged for ages chasing it until enough cylinders are firing and it can run on it's own without starter motor engaged. Then I reset the Cold Start in stages as it warms up.

1 hour ago, CP26309 said:

My standard Lucas Pi (CP) is the total opposite to AlexB. It starts first time when hot or still warm, but is a devil to start when it hasn't been used for a month. I have to leave the starter motor engaged for ages chasing it until enough cylinders are firing and it can run on it's own without starter motor engaged. Then I reset the Cold Start in stages as it warms up.

Same here, never had a problem hot starting. I would have thought a small leak back past NRVs or injectors would be most noticeable after the car had been left a little while. I've always assumed the slow starting after the car has been left for a few weeks is due to that.

Mike.