After a run I am finding a residue of what appears either oil or greasy like substance mainly on the underside of the bonnet under the 'power bulge' in the form of specks or small globules. It looks a little like it is being sprayed up from somewhere. The area around the timing chain appears reasonably dry although there are a couple of small drips on the front cross member & a residue of oily film on the metal water pipe that joins the 2 hoses nearby. Wondering if the revolution of the pulleys (crank, water & alternator is throwing something up. Any ideas?

Hi Monty

It sounds like a water leak and probably at the front of the engine. I had the same problem when my water pump started to fail, and the leak is not always easily detected as it seeps out of the bottom of the pump housing or shaft under pressure and then gets sprayed around the engine bay by the fan.

Also check the by-pass hose which comes off the thermostat housing and check the housing itself for leaks, as being alloy it is prone to corrosion.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for your comments chaps. Absolutely no sign of any leakage from around water pump area. Although I have Webers fitted I am wondering if they are spitting some kind of residue. I am also wondering if some oil is seeping out of the timing chain cover & being sprayed by the various pulleys. I have noticed a small pool of oil on the chassis cross member that runs under the timing cover area.

All looks pretty dry around the cover which was taken off last year & replaced with new gasket & oil seal etc. On a ramp next week for annual greasing so will have a better look then.

Cheers.

I'm with Andrew on this, specks and globules, sounds like an oil/ water or grease/water emulsion. The water pump would be my first area to evaluate. Any sign of antifreeze colour in the mix?

Mine did exactly the same for about 300 miles after a lay up and now its fine......well its not leaking at the moment :unsure:

Iain

I'm with Andrew on this, specks and globules, sounds like an oil/ water or grease/water emulsion. The water pump would be my first area to evaluate. Any sign of antifreeze colour in the mix?

Mine did exactly the same for about 300 miles after a lay up and now its fine......well its not leaking at the moment :unsure:

Iain

Thanks Iain. No sign of anti freeze colour or leakage around the pump. On ramp on Friday so will take another look.

Cheers.

If your pump has a grease nipple then it may have had a bit too much grease added. FWIW anything that encounters the fan or its airstream on a 4/4a/5 will end up spread across the underside of the bonnet in the area of the front of the bulge especially if it has encountered the fan belt/dynamo/alternator pulley be it oil/water/grease/mud etc.

Stuart.

If your pump has a grease nipple then it may have had a bit too much grease added. FWIW anything that encounters the fan or its airstream on a 4/4a/5 will end up spread across the underside of the bonnet in the area of the front of the bulge especially if it has encountered the fan belt/dynamo/alternator pulley be it oil/water/grease/mud etc.

Stuart.

Yes Stuart that is exactly where it is ending up with a couple of spots on the wheel arches & front of the bonnet. Not too much but just a nuisance to keep wiping it off.

Thanks.