Squeak & clunking noise - With Video.

A single clunk upon engaging clutch could be diff nose mounting plate fractured, or diff pin.

Repeating clunks drive shaft UJs.

There are several other possibilities.

The squeaky noise? maybe rubber trailing arm bushes - try WD 40 spray.

But there's also the sound of fast metallic stick-slips .....faulty lever arm shocker, or is.chassis rusty?

Time to take a look underneath.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Likely to be one of the aforementioned but with mine it was a worn diff. Only found after I had renewed everything else. Rock the car back and forth over a pit and it will be obvious what the clunking is.

Alan.

Edited by AlanG

Sounds like the noise that came from the hotel bedroom next door to our room, when in Benedorm many years back.

It seemed more more frequent during night time.

We were on Club 18-30 !!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Would have a good look around the diff.. bad news would be diff pins good news would be a failed diff mounting bush..

Tim

I have a story relating to noise detection.... I would say in my defence I wasn't old and hadn't had a car long, and had plenty of 'advice' from 'experts' at work.

Had a noise coming from the front of the car that varied with road speed. Nothing else affected it, steering, braking, but in spite of this I changed the wheel bearings. No difference. someone suggested that the bearing races could be turning round on the stub axles, and I should go round the axles with a centre pop to expand them a bit then refit. This made no difference. So I bought some new struts. No difference. Braking made no difference to it but as the disks weren't too good I had some new disks and pads. No difference. At some point in all that I changed the wheels front to back also - no difference. After all that I figured as everything was new now there couldn't be much wrong with the thing, so ignored the noise, irritating as it was. Then one day I noticed that the speedo needle jumped up and down slightly in synch with this noise. A £7 speedo cable and it went.....