trailing arm adjustment.

Hi everyone,I knew it wouldnt be long before I was on here again!

I have noticed that on my rebuild, the trailing arms have an odd configuration.

On dismantling I noted..

N/Side

(outer) 1 notch bracket with 4 shims

(inner) 3 notch bracket with 4 shims

Both brackets with notches facing up.

O/Side

(outer) 1 notch bracket with 4 shims

(Inner) 2 notch bracket with 3 shims

Outer bracket notch facing up

Inner bracket notch facing DOWN.

My question...would this mean that the configuration has been altered during cars life for one reason or another or would the car have had this configuration from the factory when new.

It seems to me that both N/side and O/side have wildly differing configurations.I have checked the chassis thoroughly and it is true with no visible signs of damage.

Should I put it back together with the above configuration and then check alignment when on the road?

Suggestions appreciated to enable me to move forward on this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Richard.

Edited by Richard Young

The car certainly didn't left the factory with a bracket fitted upside down.

Check the arms for alignment, they can be twisted/bent.

Hi Richard,

not sure how they left the factory but changing them is not fun so they may be original.

The camber of the rear wheels is adjusted by these brackets. I have a similar assortment on mine.

It doesn't take a lot to put the camber put.

Get the car sorted with the brackets as is and then check the camber as per the WSM.

Roger

Hi Ed,

Thanks for link...wow..explains everything.

Since I posted this, I have just had a good look through the stack full of old service records that came with the car and I see now on a very faded illegible invoice that it had a (quote) ''new os arm'' in 1978..can only imagine it probably suffered a bump..also on the invoice I can just make out in hardly readable scribbled pencil ''Note..needs rear alignment". So, think this might mean it was adjusted hence the odd bracket arrangement.

As Roger suggests,I am going to assemble with this odd configuration and once I have a rolling chassis I will check the alignment and take it from there.Also probably means that if the arm was new,the chassis could be fractionally out which was 'hopefully' rectified with the bracket arrangement...hey ho all good fun!

R

Hi Ed,

Thanks for link...wow..explains everything.

Since I posted this, I have just had a good look through the stack full of old service records that came with the car and I see now on a very faded illegible invoice that it had a (quote) ''new os arm'' in 1978..can only imagine it probably suffered a bump..

R

Richard, Check all the brackets carefully for cracking. I had to replace the OS t/a after a taxi attacked it side-on. Three years later a NS bracket failed. It had most likely started to crack in the impact. Peter

Thanks Peter,i will have a good look.

Going back to Chris's comment..thank you Chris,you were correct (see my reply to Ed as probable cause) the arm was renewed so points to chassis area being slightly off i would guess.

Roger thanks..Will check with chassis weighted..Wont be for a week or two!

R.

If you look closely at the arm you may well find a date of manufacture on it to confirm the change.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Yes, the dates tend to confirm a change,assuming they should both be dated the same from the factory.

One trailing arm is 1970 and tuther is stamped 1972.

The invoice date showing new trailing arm was 1987.... charged at 70 dollars.

Regards

Richard.