Speedometer cable

My TR3A was originally an American LD drive car which has been converted to RH drive. I have now changed the non overfdrive gearbox, which has the speedo putput on the LH side for an overdrive one with the output the speedo output on the RH side of the overdrive unit.

The original 84" cable was routed through the, now passanger, LH side of the foot well bulk head but is no longer long enough to reach the RH speedo output.

I can see a blanked hole on the RH side of the car through which to route the cable so it reaches the output position.

Can anyone tell me how a RH car cable should be routed or do I need to get a longer cable and continue to use the LH side routing.

I have put an angle drive on the output from the overdrive.

Phil B

Hi Phil.

You do not need an angle drive, the cable exits the overdrive on the right, angled downwards at about 45°.

This passes through a slot in the gearbox cover, & through a hole in the floor. These last two openings are covered with a complicated looking rubber "grommet", which is held in place with two metal strips screwed in to the floor / gearbox cover.

The cable then turns forward, & runs along the chassis till it gets to the front bulkhead, where it turns up, into the engine compartment near the rear carb, then turns back, & passes through a grommet into the car behind the speedo.

Not sure about the length without looking it up, but a look in the parts book, or Moss / Rimmers web pages should clear that one up.

Cheers

Bob.

Looks like I did the same:

attachicon.gifRolling chassis 1.JPG attachicon.gifOverdrive.JPG attachicon.gifEngine & rad.JPG

Bob.

RHD cars 84" cable for o/d and non o/d type cars

LHD 69" cable for Non o/d type cars

LHD 96" cable for o/d type cars

As stated ditch the angle drive - and route as Bob has given in photos

Peter W

PS

4 synchro with A type Overdrive in 3/4 only then Bob?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Yep. Was offered a T2000 box with O/D for free during the rebuild. Would have been rude to refuse !

Alternative was a 3 synchro non O/D box in unknown condition.

Had the O/D rebuilt by Hardy engineering, who converted it to TR spec except for speedo drive ratio, the box was OK (& still is)

Bob.