Any chemists out there

I have 4 sidelamp marker housings to paint Satin Black.

they are made of a Plastic/Nylon?? material that was originally chromed by some (to me) unknown process.

the chromium plating has literally fallen off the rear of the housings, but is still in good order where it shows on the outside.

Does anyone have a way of safely removing the plating please.

They are off the Red Tomato.

P1050532_zps6kjcjxww.jpg

P1050533_zpsuwjugqcp.jpg

They're almost certainly ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene). It's one of the few parts that's capable of being electroplated and commonly used for things like this on cars and household plumbing. There's a chance it's vacuum-deposited aluminum, too. Still likely to be ABS if so.

I'm not sure how I'd remove it -- possibly abrasive. If it's vacuum deposited, it'll come off easily 'cause the film is so thin. Buffing will remove a coating like this. If it's electroplated it will be a rigid film and a lot harder to get off.

Thank you for that Don, apparently the answer is household bleach!

Didn't think of googling that one, but thanks again Pete.

The bleach wasn't very successful I now want to try Hydrachloric acid, where can I buy some from that doesn't have a brand name i.e. descaled and sink cleaner??

Hello Pete

Alec just beat me on this post. Was typing my answer when his came through.

Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is used by bricklayers to clean mortar marks off bricks. Try a builders merchant. It might work producing a soluble chloride with the 'chrome'.

Kettle descaler is usually citric acid which is weaker. Vinegar (acetic acid) is also a weak acid. Would think neither of these is up to the job.

Sink blockage remover is usually based on sodium hydroxide which is no good for your job.

Bleach is based on sodium hypochlorite. This might adversely affect the 'plastic'.

Car battery acid is sulphuric acid (H2SO4) and may well dissolve the 'chrome' plate to form a soluble sulphate.

Whatever you use wear eye protection. If you get even one drop of acid in the eye wash it out immediately with lots of water. Also do it in a well ventilated place because the acid fumes can be quite nasty as well. Also wear rubber gloves. Also hydrogen will be generated and this is inflammable. (acid plus metal = salt plus hydrogen). Remember school chemistry popping hydrogen in a bunsen flame?

Never tried to do this job myself so not sure if any of these will work but I would try hydrochloric or sulphuric acid first.

Failing all attempts I would then just paint over it!

Keith

Brick acid from the local builders' merchants might be a good starting point ?

Cheers

Alec

If it works as well as your Milkstone stuff does at rust removal,were on a winner.

So its plan B tomorrow, thanks to all for the advice.