First time I've used this so please bear with me if I'm asking something obvious or any other mistake.

Recently acquired TR6 PI with K&N air filters.

Previously it has run fine but in the hot weather a coupe of weeks ago when the temps. were in the high 20's I had a problem with loss of power after about twenty minutes of driving. It felt to me like fuel starvation.

Since owning it I've done all the usual, plugs, points etc and fitted a new fuel pump and filter and everything has been running fine until the hot weather. Engine came up to temperature no problem and remained there although it was very hot under the bonnet when I opened it. Suppose the temp gauge could be sticking and not showing the true engine temp.

Has anybody any ideas about the loss of power?

Any advice much appreciated

John

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

Don't know about PI but I wouldn't condemn the temp gauge just yet.

The cooling system is running at apprxc 80'C I can't imagine the hot air from the engine bay was at that temp. It can get quite hot though

Roger

John,

TR6 fuel pump runs at a constant speed and excess fuel and heat from the pump is recirculated back into the fuel tank. There is a recommendation from many on this site to keep the fuel tank above 1/4 full both as a heat reservoir for the heat from petrol pump and, if driving quickly with less than 1/4 tank with quick cornering air can enter the fuel line and cause a momentary loss of power. Newer fuel tanks incorporate a swirl pot to eliminate air from the fuel.

So the questions are

How much fuel in tank?

Have you dipped the tank with a clean rod to see if the fuel gauge is reading correctly(ish)?

Was the fuel starvation momentary or for extended periods?

Have you taken the car out since and is it ok now?

Was the driving spirited?

What part of the world are you in?

And not forgetting that there are also known heat problems from the ignition side of things, mostly coil & capacitor.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Welcome, to add to Alan's questions.

Why did you change the fuel pump and which one did you fit?

Steve

John,

Welcome to the forum and TR6 ownership,

Previous threads on the topic would include, as Alan said above:

-Stainless steel braided fuel hoses from MU to injectors have been blamed, but only by some.

- Cr*p capacitor in the disy. Also coil ( especially if it has Luc*s on the box). Distributor Doctor sells the best.

- PI pump doesnt like hot fuel so check the fault doesn't appear only when the tank is low on petrol.

The K&Ns will loose a bit of power, a few percent, when breathing hot air. But you wont get serious loss of power. I have intake temperatures from 40-80C and it runs fine.( but its not PI, though I cant see that making a difference).

Peter

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this - plenty to go on there but unfortunately laid up for a few days after a knee op. on Tuesday so can't try anything yet. May be a problem with fuel level as tank about quarter full but I don't think I would describe my driving as spirited. Located in Milton Keynes and thanks for advice about email address.

Thanks once again

John

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this - plenty to go on there but unfortunately laid up for a few days after a knee op. on Tuesday so can't try anything yet. May be a problem with fuel level as tank about quarter full but I don't think I would describe my driving as spirited. Located in Milton Keynes and thanks for advice about email address.

Thanks once again

John

MK is famous for lots of roundabouts is it not?

With a quarter of a tank I would expect the fuel to slosh to the right hand side around left hand bends and possibly cause the fuel pump to suck air for a second or two.

My car can run right down to the stop on the empty side of the fuel gauge without problems, BUT will do the above then recover.

Steve

" there are nutters out there."

.....and not all are easily identified by their head gear.......????????

Edited by SDerbyshire
  • 2 months later...

Thought it might be useful to give an update on this problem.

I've tried the suggestions about fuel levels etc but turns out the problem was a dodgy coil. Thanks to Peter (Cobbold) suggestion I've fitted new coil, distributor arm, points and condenser all from the dizzy doctor and the problem has been solved.

Can't believe how smooth the engine now runs and how well it pulls - a pleasure to drive now.

Thanks everyone for your advice

John