Temporary Engine Support

I am planning to fit the new clutch to my 3A. This will mean the gearbox out and if the rear seal on the crankshaft is leaking the sump will have to come off.

How can I support the rear of the engine so that the work can be done standing up using a 4 post lift. There is a built in lifting eye at the front but nothing at the back.

Thanks

Richard & H.

Don't attach the rope to any beams, rafters etc. if the roof for your garage is of simple construction.

I heard about a TR owner who did this and instead of lifting his engine, he pulled down the roof of his garage.

Edited by Don Elliott

If this is professional shop they will have one or more movable beams on the 4 post just for this purpose. There are many times when you need to support or jack up an end or a corner while it is on the lift. Call them and check.

Stan

My engine has a lifting bracket attached to the rear most cylinder head retaining stud and exhaust stud on the right hand side, a standard fitment for this engine. I think they tend to get not put back after removal for head decarbonising.

Tony

Edited by TonyB