Throttle Cable - Pulling through bulkhead

Good evening,

I have enjoyed a great drive today through West Sussex into Hampshire in my CR series TR6 having finally balanced the throttle bodies. Thank you for everyones advice previously on the forum in helping me to get this problem sorted.

I arrived home disappointed to discover a familiar problem with the throttle cable outer sheath pulling through the bulkhead. I have previously replaced the cable (twice) and fitted a cable tie and washer where the cable passes through the bulkhead in an effort to prevent the recurring problem. I'm wondering if anyone else has discovered a fix for this problem or indeed a supplier that can offer a decent quality fit for purpose throttle cable? Unfortunately having balanced the throttle bodies I am now only able to partially open the throttle due to the failed cable.

Thanks for reading the post and sharing your experiences or recommendations in terms of a solution. Surely someone must be able to offer a decent throttle cable that will last longer than a few hundred miles!!

Best Regards, Peter

I used a jubilee clip, permanent fix with a washer

Hi, I would have thought you could fine a suitable cable adjuster in the push bike world, the ones in my box of bike bits have a gap so that they can be fitted to the cable without having to remove the inner cable ends, just a case of finding one of the correct diameter for the outer cable and the bulkhead stop point.

Cheers Rob

Perhaps I should start making these and selling them. I started with a 3/4" round brass bar & drilled out a hole in the centre just slightly larger than the dia of the Bowden cable, I then counterbored one end the dia and depth of the ferrule on the end of the cable outer. The outside of the bar was turned down to a smaller size at either end but leaving a 1/8 thick shoulder in the middle, which rests on top of the bulkhead, or in my case Araldited to it. You will also need to cut the nipple off the end of the cable to allow it to pass through the brass adaptor and use a screw type nipple on the pedal end. This arrangement has been in place on my car for 6 years now and works perfectly.

John

Hi Peter.

I had exactly the same problem with a Moss cable I purcased some time ago, the crimped sleeve that's supposed to hold the cable in the panel above the pedal slid up the cable, so the cable went slack, hence no throttle!.

However I did complain to Moss technical department, and they sent me a replacement that seem to have a better crimped ferrule, which has been on the car for the past few years without problem.

Perhaps you have old stock. I would check it out with Mick Pratt at Moss 0208 8672083.

Rich

Peter

I had the same problem many years ago, approx. 1996, on my way back home to the ferry at Calais. I could barely get enough revs to get up the ramp onto the boat by the time I got there and ended up reaching under the dash holding the cable nipple with a pair of pliers to pull it to board the ferry.

During the channel crossing I explained my predicament to the ships Purser who got one of the engine room engineers to make me a small bracket to clamp onto the cable. That was just a small bent strip of steel round the cable with a 5mm bolt and nut through it to clamp onto the ferrule above the bulkhead. Crude but effective. It got me home without further problems. I obviously replaced the cable but still have the shipwrights clamp in my tool box to this day.

Dave McD