Draining Overdrive

Does anyone know the size of socket or spanner needed for the o/d drain? Over the last 62 years its got a bit battered. I've tried all my large sockets and all those I can borrow. Would like to know the correct size before doing anything drastic. JJC

Hi JJC,

on the 'A' type OD there is a big brass nut for the filters.

The main drain plug is on the gearbox and this is 7/16AF (I think) square head.

If it is rounded off then you will need to be inventive. Stilsons, serious Moles, Welded nut etc.

Roger

Yup it's the big brass nut. Have tried the inventive approach but am loath to thoroughly graunch it. However as this is to drain the 0.4 litres of GL5 (thanks to your post) and at my age I won't be doing it again that's the route I'll go. Maybe tidy it up when it's off. JJC

Hi JJC,

the big brass nut is easy enough to remove. It is slotted to take a 'C' spanner but yours sounds beyond that.

However there must be some remains of the slots. Use a brass or Ali drift with a few taps with a hammer. If a tap doesn't do it giver it a whack.

GL5 - how did that get there.

Roger

Roger - no it's the early version which has a nut about 1 3/16 across the flats. It's the later version that uses a c spanner which I also have to drain on the 6. But I'm planning to buy one from Moss. I have three gearboxes to drain off the GL5 so I'm not too happy but glad you spotted it. JJC

Overdrive Repair Services, who will be present at the IWE, can sell you a purpose-made tool for the big brass nut.

Call them in advance and collect at Lincoln.

Ian Cornish

Ian

Any idea on the price of that tool?/

I made my own from a piece of pipe which I cut the ends into the castellated shape to grip ALL the points especially those ones that had been previously rounded slightly by the original owner. It worked perfectly but is a bit clunky so a proper designed tool would be a good buy.

Dave

According to the ORS website (see overdrive-repairs.co.uk), the A Type Drain Plug Spanner ORSSPN is £20. It's a well-made, beefy tool!

I imagine that one would avoid cost of postage if collected at the IWE in Lincoln.

Ian Cornish

Ian - is that tool designed to work with drain plugs which respond to a "c spanner"?

I have a c spanner to deal with the o/d on the 6 but the one on the 2 is different. It needs either a conventional spanner or socket. Andrew's post above says a 30mm socket does the trick. I don't have one (yet!). JJC

The ORS spanner has 6 teeth which fit into the slots in the large brass nut. It's a beefy spanner, made of 5/16" (8mm) steel and weighing one pound (464 grams).

I don't know whether it would work on the J type overdrive, although the TR6 Workshop Manual seems to show a nut with 6 slots. Clearly, ORS could advise.

Ian Cornish

Ian It's a 54 TR2 with original box. It doesn't use the same type of o/d drain as the later (but same type) of o/d. It sounds as though the thing you are describing does the same job as a c spanner but better. I might try and post a picture if anyone's interested. JJC

I use a 11/16 whit box spanner. Hold it up in place with a block of wood and a jack as you slacken to stop it jumping off.

My spare plug measures 1.212" or 30.79 mm

Try the plumbers merchant for big box spanners.

The 32 mm item with a touch of filing does TR2/3 steering wheel nuts. This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUBULAR-TUBE-SPANNER-27mm-32mm-Deep-Box-Wrench-by-Neilsen-Tools-CT1172-/252078934385?hash=item3ab1134971:g:T-EAAOSwT6pV6BoS

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT