I have replaced / renewed the half grommet and washer on my bonnet dzus's (original dzus's retained), as they were either missing or very rattly.

Now the fixing doesn't rattle, but the new parts have had the effect of clamping the bonnet down very tight - too low, such that when driving the rigidity of the bonnet seems to cause it to rattle instead

What is the best way to address, just add a thin washers to the the bracket that the dzus clamps into ?

Thanks.

You can buy the spacers to go under the dzus catches - TR shop have them.

You are supposed to add as many as is required to get the height you need.

Also don't forget the rubber pads to be fitted at the front corners (replacing what would be the frontmost ¼" screw holding wing to inner wing.

These should be adjusted in height to let the bonnet sit correctly.

Bob.

You can buy the spacers to go under the dzus catches - TR shop have them.

You are supposed to add as many as is required to get the height you need.

Also don't forget the rubber pads to be fitted at the front corners (replacing what would be the frontmost ¼" screw holding wing to inner wing.

These should be adjusted in height to let the bonnet sit correctly.

Bob.

Correct, a combination of the two sets the height in relation to the wings and front panel and holds it down tight.

Stuart.

Thanks Gents, I see the spacers in t'moss catalogue as part number 553001, but confused as to the rubber pad to the front corner ?

Do I need to add parts CD24540, GHF200, WM57 to my growing list of missing bits. If so, is Sri Lankan Bob saying that the forward most bolt is to be replaced ?

I am beginning to think that Olde Smokey's entry into the 1958-60 Brighton Speed Trials involved a great deal of weight saving !

Cheers again

B7B21DD8-FF12-4EEF-A8EA-03666743ED4F_zps

53FD6C35-F02A-4263-B4B9-E993AC301123_zps

0D35915B-D160-45D4-A09C-65B88B6401C8_zps

You need the bonnet buffer (CD24540) with there associated washer and nut. They replace one of the wing bolts each side and are adjusted up so the bonnet sits at the correct height on them. The Dzus brackets you will set slightly lower so there is tension when the fastener is turned and locks into place. Height adjustment of the bracket is neatly done using thick card gaskets pt no 553001 or cut your own.

Position of bonnet buffers in attached photo pdf

The buffer can be seen at the front of the wing attachment channel just before the apron edge.

I have just replaced the screws in mine with stainless - they are 1 3/4" long 1/4" unf countersunk headed screws. They had become rotten in 12 years of use.

Cheers

Peter W

Bonnet Buffer.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

well bonnet buffers are another thing mine is missing! Mind you if the bonnet does rattle it is drowned out by other rattles!