Need some info on fitting an electric fan to a TR 2, whilst leaving the original mechanical fan in place.

Ideally would like automatic plus manual switching as well, what is best/value for money?

John.

i have a (relatively) cheapo 10" (pusher?) from Rimmers, forward of the rad pushing air through from the front.

It is wired to a thermo switch, but also has manual override.

Although small, it is very effective - the temp drops quickly when operating - but only been in 2 years, so no idea how robust it is.

I wanted to fit a fan between the grill and radiator front, so it could not be seen from the engine bay, and keep the original mechanical one.

I shortened the tunnel to allow a fan, to fit behind the grill, but infront of the radiator core, then made brackets to fit grill back onto tunnel end,then shaped sides , to original tunnel sides.

It shortens the depth of the mouth slightly, but makes the grill a little more see-able, (good thing).

Used standard sensor, screwed into the steel piece of pipe, in bottom pipe ( all bought standard)

None of it seeable,

Chris

Hi John,

As you can see from Chris's reply it's really a non starter. There's no room between the grill for any sort of fan. I looked at it on my long door and bulked at the thought of hacking the front panel about. Good front panels are so rare now I really think you should reconsider either fitting a kenlowe on the back or maybe trying a six blade tropical fan. Having tried to manage with the mechanical fan for a few years I eventually conceded defeat and changed the whole set up including the header tank from TR Enterprises. Now I don't panic every time I see traffic.

Regards, Pete

On my 3A I recently fitted a 72 degree "Bellows Thermostat" and the car runs much cooler, but still warms up quickly, still with standard fan. Well worth doing if you can find one.

I have an electric fan from a scrap yard wedged and cable tied in front of the radiator connected to a switch on the dash and this is sufficient to stop overheating.

Clive

I have 6x 72 deg bellows stats available £35 inc each post to mainland uk

And if anyone wants the Winter version I have an NOS AC 86 degree bellows with shield, same price.

Stuart.

I use the 86° one above all year round.

Gauge sits at just under 185° (F) unless in traffic, then Revotec fan kicks in at around 190° (no mechanical fan)

Warm up is fast - usually within ½ mile.

My rad was re-cored using more cores than standard, & no starting handle hole.

Bob.

P.S.

My standard heater was thoroughly flushed prior to fitting, & it works just fine.