totally stumped fitting filler neck

3 hours later i am still trying to fit the filler neck to the tank, have tried every scenario i can imagine

tank first then neck n retainer

tank with neck then retainer

tank with neck an retainer from front and back

nothing freekin works

any (helpful) suggestions ?

1FE50932-E375-4E9A-81D1-269BCE1143D0_zps

Edited by McMuttley

I remember struggling with mine for quite some time. I think in the end I shortened the rubber pipe, & I may have also shortened the pipe part of the filler.

Put the rubber pipe fully on which ever is the longest "solid pipe", & tighten up the clamp, put the other clamp loosely on the rubber pipe, then try to insert the tank, & guide the rubber onto the other "solid pipe" as you go.

Bob.

excellent advice gents, a combo of all three worked, although i lacked the bravery of stu as i feared all that bondo cracking !

Feels nice to be putting things back in rather than taking ore and more bits off !

Hoping to get the extractor back from cam coat mid week, but suspect that installing that plus the exhaust, setting up carbs etc will not happen in time for drive it day

A4388FC6-4940-4130-AE78-B249CFA73348_zps

9F2FDD27-54C0-402C-9C20-31E180B203E3_zps

Hi Martin, The twatty dealer who sold me the car did the seal, so like everything else, i suspect it is wrong, luckily it isnt glued in either !