Sheet metal brace between the chassis and the front apron ?

We all know that on the sidescreen cars there are two brace bars that go from the crank guide back to two brackets attached to the bar at the front of the chassis.

There is also a bracket with a hole in it in between the two angled brackets for the crack braces and I am told by Stuart that this center bracket is used for a third brace that goes from that center bracket to the lower lip of the apron.

I have seen pictures of that brace (about 6 inces long, sheet metal with folded edges and a slight jog at one end) but I have never seen an apron that had any sign that such a brace was attached to it.

So my question is if you have a TR2, 3, 3A or 3B with that center brace from the frame to the apron how is/was it attached to the apron and where ?

Stan

This is one of Stuarts pictures so I hope he doesnt mind me posting it. I know these exist because a fellow club member also has one attached to a spare frame. Unfortunately he has no history for that frame and no body so we dont know what TR this came from.

photo0620_zpsgdwtel1y.jpg

Hi,

I have one fitted on my tr2, allthough not the same ushape like the one of stuart, its a plain steel rod 4mm thick, about the same width.

The lower lip of the frontapron has an extra lip in the middle inwards with a hole in it.

I have 2 original front aprons, Having the same lip.

Edited by EdwinTiben

Hi,

I have one fitted on my tr2, allthough not the same ushape like the one of stuart, its a plain steel rod 4mm thick, about the same width.

The lower lip of the frontapron has an extra lip in the middle inwards with a hole in it.

I have 2 original front aprons, Having the same lip.

Thanks Edwin, when you get a chance could you post a picture of one of those aprons showing where the brace attaches ?

Stan

Thanks Edwin, when you get a chance could you post a picture of one of those aprons showing where the brace attaches ?

Stan

Im already searching my archives ;) Will take a picture when at the car.

Its a half moon-ish lip in the middle pointing inwards

I have a feeling now having gone back through some archives etc that this was deleted at 3a introduction as prior to that with the bumper irons going under the front panel there was no real support for the lower centre of it, with the re-design of the front on a 3a and the bumper irons then bolting through the front panel there was less need for it though the chassis bracket remained as the chassis stayed the same. I still fit them to 3a`s though as the lower lip still splits sometimes due to vibration.

Stuart.

As you all know, I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new. It never had any central sheet metal brace or support - just the two angled ones. As suggested above, the TR3A bumper irons between the front of the valance and the back of the bumper below the grille seem to be strong enough. My early TR3A has Comm. No. TS 27489 LO.

Stan

Just took my apron off the 3A this morning and in addition to the top support tubes to the over-riders which bolt to the inner wheel arch, there are the four course thread screws which pass into spire nuts in the corners of the grill opening and two more further back. So with the bolts to the dumb irons and the two to the crank handle boss in the middle, there seems to be little need for that centre one on early TR2´s and TR3´s although Stuarts experiences say that it has prevented some known tears in the under edge on the apron below the grill opening.

Dave

Stan

Just took my apron off the 3A this morning and in addition to the top support tubes to the over-riders which bolt to the inner wheel arch, there are the four course thread screws which pass into spire nuts in the corners of the grill opening and two more further back. So with the bolts to the dumb irons and the two to the crank handle boss in the middle, there seems to be little need for that centre one on early TR2´s and TR3´s although Stuarts experiences say that it has prevented some known tears in the under edge on the apron below the grill opening.

Dave

Dave, since I never fully understood where that brace connected on the apron I mistakenly assumed it was attached to the crank guide bolt under the apron. However once I had the apron in place it was obvious that my assumption was incorrect. By that time the apron was painted and on the car so no central brace for me.

Stan