Wiring question

Replacing the loom, I have a wire which I am uncertain where it goes. The wire is brown with a Lucar connector one end and an eyelet on the other. About 20" long, the wire that is, not the eyelet! My guess is ammeter to starter but the wire (it's original and clean) doesn't look as though it's lived in the engine bay. Anyone know for sure? JJC

Hello JJC,

Not too much to go on there. There is a standard guide to car wiring colours, but I can't find it. Brown wires are usually associated with the main power set up (ie Starter - Ammeter - Connector Block - Fuse Block). The eyelet could be for the starter motor.

In any re-wire, you need to be checking all connections against the wiring diagram. I usually buzz each wire so I know where it's going too/from and at the same time verify the colour. (I have experienced loom makers using different colour wires! )I then attach a label before terminating. Another tactic you can use is to get a blown up copy of the wiring diagram and as you find and label each wire, mark it off. Bit tedious I know, but better to be extra careful than end up with a fire !

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Many thanks for all your replies. Good idea to buzz wires I'll try that. The brown book is much clearer than my workshop manual reprint where the wiring diagram is too small and so faint I can't read it. I'm putting the original loom back so you would think it would be easy but it isn't. Some original wires don't seem to be colour coded as per the diagram. Anyway thanks for your help I'll let you know when I find out where it goes. JJC

Be aware that the differing models, CP vs CR and age have differing diagrams and probably differing circuits so make sure your viewing the correct one for your model year.

Once again thanks for your support. I've borrowed the w,Irving diagrams in colour but A4 with a magnifying glass! It's not the ammeter to starter wire because that's in the loom. I guess the put it all back and see what doesn't work is how it's going to end up. Will keep you posted.JJC